3 gang switch headache
Ask questions and find answers to many subjects relating to electrics and electrical work

3 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
Ryohei56
Labourer
Labourer

3 gang switch headache

by Ryohei56 » Sat Jan 27, 2024 7:24 pm

HI. Around 15 months ago I replaced an old 3 gang switch with a new one.All went well, I was careful to note which wires went where etc.One switch turns on/off the hall light, one turns on'off the outside security light and the last one operates the downstairs wc light ( the wc is on the other side of the wall from the switch).

Recently, the wc light was misbehaving - flickering on & off, sometimes staying off - and I noticed that I could hear a kind of intermittent 'fizzing' noise from the switch. I unscrewed the frontplate and gently eased it out. At this point I noted that there were three unconnected wires - 2 brown and one black. I do not know which connectors these were originally wired into, but from the way they are positioned it seems likely that they went into the bottom row of connectors.

I've attached a fairly rough sketch of the layout of the connectors and the cabling currenly in place. Searching online hasn't helped at all, and I don't ewant to start randomly connecting wires up in case I make things worse.

Any suggestions? Happy to anser any questions/provide further info if it helps.

TIA

Alan Stewart
Attachments
IMG_20240127_191245_resized_20240127_071308926.jpg

Mr White
Project Manager
Project Manager

Re: 3 gang switch headache

by Mr White » Sat Jan 27, 2024 10:23 pm

In the U.K. There is no colour code for wiring lights, so it is not possible to say "This colour wire goes here, and that colour wire goes there" you are going to have to call an electrician, look at your previous photo or trial and error

ericmark
Project Manager
Project Manager

Re: 3 gang switch headache

by ericmark » Sun Jan 28, 2024 11:08 pm

As said no fixed colour code, clearly left hand switch in picture short of a wire, but no way to see which one. You may get more of an idea by looking at cables, but a sketch tells us nothing as no idea where cables go.

3 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Sat Jul 27, 2024 3:01 pm