Adapter plug replacement for drill?
Ask questions and find answers to many subjects relating to electrics and electrical work

5 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
craig98
Labourer
Labourer

Adapter plug replacement for drill?

by craig98 » Tue Dec 05, 2023 10:51 am

Hello, I have and issue that maybe more electronics than electrics? I have a charger for a drill. It has a plug with a large body i.e. I assume there are some circuits in there? And a charger socket end. The plugs pins are broken so I want to replace the plug part. Is this possible? The plug has no details on but charger end does and says:
input 220-240v 50hz 30w
output DC 16v = 1.5A
Any help appreciated. (example image attached)
Attachments
charger.jpg

Mr White
Project Manager
Project Manager

Re: Adapter plug replacement for drill?

by Mr White » Tue Dec 05, 2023 8:20 pm

You assume correctly. The "plug" has the electronics, yes you can change it, now all you have to do is find one. Often power supplies like that are made specifically as a one off. (Just for that tool)
I would suggest that if that is the build quality what is the drill build quality like?
I would suggest you save time and money and buy a recognised brand of drill.

If you are "starting out" then I would suggest you look at this Click here once you get this the battery and charger fit a whole range of other tools

craig98
Labourer
Labourer

by craig98 » Wed Dec 06, 2023 11:28 am

Thanks, I thought I may be able to by an adapter i.e. https://www.amazon.co.uk/Adapter-Applia ... 5JGQ/?th=1 but just wondered what the tolerances were i.e. if the output could be less.

Mr White
Project Manager
Project Manager

by Mr White » Wed Dec 06, 2023 12:25 pm

The device you link to does not have the same specifications as the one that you have, which is broken. Which means it will not work. Which is why I also initially said
Mr White wrote:Often power supplies like that are made specifically as a one off. (Just for that tool)

What you are suggesting is like using one car for a bus replacement service. They are both vehicles, but the replacement is not capable of coping with the demand. (You must have the same, not similar/close to but NOT identical. If it were identical it would be no use as it would have broken pins)

I understand your reasoning (Been there, done that) If it was that easy, I would have said so, but as I also mentioned, if that is the poor build quality, what is the build quality of the drill? Buy something decent in the first place, it will cost more initially, but the build quality means it will take everyday abuse and last for many years.

Finally: Don't go down the "It's cheap, when it fails I will buy another one route" as the price never comes down, and over time you spend more on another one than you would if you got the better one in the first place.

ericmark
Project Manager
Project Manager

by ericmark » Sun Dec 10, 2023 12:54 am

A battery may have the electronics to charge it built into the battery or the charger, batteries can go on fire if over charged, and I can't read the details on the charger shown.

But I have same problem myself, I have one odd drill which takes a different battery to the rest, if either the battery or charger fails, then drill is useless, the others use a 20 volt battery which is interchangeable with other tools from the same manufacturer, Parkside Lidi special in my case, so I am crossing my fingers nothing goes wrong.

5 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Sat Jul 27, 2024 2:25 pm