Air vent in chimney and danger of mould spores?
All manner of questions and solutions to problems and issues surrounding the subject of brickwork, blockwork and stonework

2 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
Joe104
Labourer
Labourer
Posts: 1
Joined: Mon Nov 09, 2020 8:19 am

Air vent in chimney and danger of mould spores?

by Joe104 » Mon Nov 09, 2020 8:24 am

Hi hope someone can help as im pretty clueless
I live in a 1920 pit house. The chimney is blocked off apart from a cooker hood in the chimney breast in the kitchen. A while back I notice A damp patch about the hood when we had heavy rain. Had a chap in for a quote and the chimney needs rendering and was letting in water. Unfortunately due to furlough that’s not a Job I can afford to do right now. I know rain coming down the chimney can cause damp and that’s my next worry. In one of the upstairs bedrooms is a plastic vent in the chimney breast. I’m not sure if this is a false wall as it sounds hollow compared to the other side
Of the breast. The vent is quite high up from the floor so is inline and next to the bed in there. Nowdo I cover the vent up if possible? My worry is that if mold is growing in the chimney the spores
Will go in the room and make my son sick. If I cover it up what’s the best thing to use?

stoneyboy
Project Manager
Project Manager
Posts: 6465
Joined: Wed Dec 10, 2008 6:44 pm

Re: Air vent in chimney and danger of mould spores?

by stoneyboy » Mon Nov 09, 2020 10:50 pm

Hi joe104
Chances are that the chimney has been used in the past for coal fires so the flue will be lined with a nice coating of tar/soot. It’s unlikely that spores will survive and it’s better to keep the flue ventilated, so keep it open.
Regards S

2 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Thu Jun 20, 2024 6:48 am