Built in oven Installation Question?.
Ask questions and find answers to many subjects relating to electrics and electrical work

2 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
saltyseadog1950
Labourer
Labourer

Built in oven Installation Question?.

by saltyseadog1950 » Sun Apr 14, 2024 10:08 am

The cooker socket in my home is the same one as shown in the image. We've lived here since 1992 and originally had a Belling all in one cooker unit which was hardwired into the cooker side of the switch via a flat grey 3-core cable. Around 7-8yrs ago we modernised the kitchen including a separate induction 7kW hob and a 3kW built in oven. I used the grey cable to wire the hob and the oven came with a normal round wire with a 3-point fused 13amp plug which i connected to the 3-point connection on the wall socket. This socket is wired to a separate 32amp breaker in the electrical box. This worked without any problems since then.

The wife has decided she wants a new oven and we chose a Bosch series 4 one rated at 2.9kW. While reading the spec on this oven I noted that it stated on the power requirements 13 Amp (Requires hardwiring to a fused spur) Now I am unsure on what that exactly means in my situation. If the socket on the wall was capable of running the old Belling cooker and has run a similar sized built in oven for the last several years I can;t see why the new oven should be any different considering it is 0.1kW less than the present one.

Can anyone tell me whether I should just wire it the same way it is or do I need to install something which fulfills the "hardwired to a fused spur" option?. THanks in advance for any advice.

ericmark
Project Manager
Project Manager

Re: Built in oven Installation Question?.

by ericmark » Mon Apr 15, 2024 7:36 pm

It should be fine with a plug. British law requires items which are plugged in to be provided with a plug, so if the manufacturer says it should not be plugged in then they can sell it without a plug, so we have seen since brexit items saying they need hard wiring to get around the British law.

The plug contains a fuse which gets hot that's how they work, so need to be in free air, or forced air, it was common to fit the socket behind the oven and in the ovens own cooling air supply, if not in ovens cooling air then should be in free air, that is only reason I can think of for not using a plug and socket for under a 3 kW oven.

2 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Sat Jul 27, 2024 7:45 am