Chimney flues
Accounts and book-keeping for builders plus mortgage and remortgage information

4 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
elements
Labourer
Labourer

Chimney flues

by elements » Thu Jan 17, 2008 8:08 pm

I'm hoping someone can help me - I've been surfing online but for once Google has failed to come up with the goods...

We live in an old house, and are about to build an extension onto the gable end wall, which currently houses a woodburner. Our plan is to turn this room into a kitchen and install an aga infront of the fire hole, so we can use the chimney as a flue. We would also like to install a wood burner in the new extension, and are wondering whether it would be possible to use the same flue as the aga?

We're pretty sure the chimney isn't big enough to take two flue liners - does anyone know whether we can feed both heat sources into the one?

Most grateful for any help!

Sonia.

Perry525
Site Agent
Site Agent

Chimney flues

by Perry525 » Thu Feb 21, 2008 6:33 pm

Since 2002 work on chimneys needs the consent of the local council.

The internal size of a chimney must relate to the size and type of fire to be used.

The flue must be able to cope with a temperature of 1000 C.

If the flue is too big or too small, the fire will not burn properly.

Thats how it stands for new work on a chimney.

Having said that, there are many houses still around with chimneys that serve two fires.

I had a house with that type of set up, the kitchen fire and the kitchen boiler joined about eight feet up in the air, and as I recollect the arrangement worked perfectly. There was about 22 feet of chimney above the join.

Provided you have at least 16 feet of chimney above the join it should work.

I would suggest that you have a word with your local council and see if they have a view on your proposal.

elements
Labourer
Labourer

Chimney flue

by elements » Tue Mar 11, 2008 6:02 pm

That's great - many thanks for your reply. Sounds like a chat with the local council would be wise...

Sonia.

TheDoctor5

by TheDoctor5 » Tue Jan 20, 2009 9:27 am

Last year 64% of the questions asked in our forum were answered within our DIY project pages at www.diydoctor.org.uk/projects.htm The project pages are now separated alphabetically and your answers are accompanied by diagrams and the ability to see, and buy, the tools and/or required to complete your project. Use our search box to look for your answer and save a great deal of time and money!

4 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Sat Jul 27, 2024 5:10 am