Connecting TV to aerial
Find answers to popular questions or post your own regarding any aspect of home entertainment

3 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
Zacccc
Ganger
Ganger

Connecting TV to aerial

by Zacccc » Wed Jun 22, 2022 12:22 am

When my old TV died some years ago I decided to just watch TV through my PC. Recently someone gave me a TV because they had bought a smart one. I still have the TV aerial on my roof but with only about 2 metres of cable attached, as I cut the rest off. So I'll have to buy a length of aerial cable, coaxial I presume, to reconnect the TV. Will it be best to make a new connection at the aerial or join the new cable to the old one which is still attached to the aerial?

Will I be able to get the extra freeview channels through my aerial connection or will I need to buy a freeview box for that?

stoneyboy
Project Manager
Project Manager

Re: Connecting TV to aerial

by stoneyboy » Fri Jun 24, 2022 10:37 pm

Hi zacccc,
Use a couple of male plugs and a joiner to extend the existing cable. Whether you will get freeview will depend on the Tv.
Regards S

ericmark
Project Manager
Project Manager

Re: Connecting TV to aerial

by ericmark » Tue Jul 26, 2022 11:53 am

Every connection with an aerial you lose some signal, so I would connect direct to aerial.

There is no analogue TV now, so every TV today can get freeview, it would need to be very old not to have a freeview tuner built in.

I use a set top box for my TV an Icecrypt STC3250CCIHD as it also picks up satellite, and when connected to both, there is a seamless selection for terrestrial and satellite, but when I got it many programs were only free with terrestrial, now most are also free on satellite, so after moving never connected up terrestrial as so few problems.

May be my age, but I look at TV today, and most programs are repeats of what I have seen before, or American cops and robbers, so I often end up watching YouTube.

But if you have not had terrestrial for some time, then there may be some new ones for you.

3 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Sat Jul 27, 2024 8:51 am