Conservatory polycarbonate roof advice needed
Conservatories are a great all-round addition to any home. Find help, advice and information on all aspects of this area.

3 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
Danceteach
Labourer
Labourer

Conservatory polycarbonate roof advice needed

by Danceteach » Sat Aug 06, 2022 11:37 am

Hi, I’m hoping someone can help please.
My new house has an old lean to conservatory with polycarbonate roof. It’s large and watertight so am happy to make do and keep it until it shows any signs of failing.
It has a radiator so was useable all through this winter. However the summer it is too hot so I need a solution.
I also don’t like the look of the poly roof so want to cover it completely (but not spend lots on it as is old and getting towards end of life).
I’ve researched so may things and was just going to put a self adhesive vinyl white blockout on it but thought a reflective foil may work better. I had a spare roll of thermawrap bubble foil and have stuck that with double sided tape directly onto one section of the polycarbonate to try it out.
It does clearly help with radiant heat compared to before but it is extremely warm if touched directly.

1. Is that ok and actually shows it’s working by absorbing the heat from the sun and not passing it into the room?
Or is it going to make things worse when put all over the inside of roof?
2.Will that extra heat sitting against the poly (as opposed to it being able to pass through) damage the poly or roof?
3. If the quick fix I’ve used is ok then will it be ok to put a self adhesive vinyl/wallpaper on it to make it look nicer on the inside?

So much online says must have an air gap etc but I’m not doing this for insulation, it’s purely for solar heat reduction so does that still apply?
Maybe I’m over thinking and worrying but I just want to avoid making it worse or causing any damage!
I’ve attached a photo below.
Thankyou so much to anyone who has read this and has the knowledge I do not and can offer any advice. Very appreciated.
Attachments
IMG_0882.jpg

stoneyboy
Project Manager
Project Manager

Re: Conservatory polycarbonate roof advice needed

by stoneyboy » Sun Aug 07, 2022 10:42 pm

Hi danceteach,
The problem with sticking anything under you roof will be that it will come unstuck. How about trying greenhouse shading, it's a white liquid you mix with water and spray it on the outside. The more layers you apply the more shading you will achieve.
Regards S

Danceteach
Labourer
Labourer

Re: Conservatory polycarbonate roof advice needed

by Danceteach » Mon Aug 08, 2022 8:02 am

Thankyou so much for your reply.
Yes I was thinking over time tape would not hold and also during the experiment day I did notice that the poly panel was starting to bow down compared to the others, due to the heat being trapped in the foil right against it, so that’s not ideal for an old poly panel.
I had taken it down and decided an outside method would be best as will stop the heat before it even gets in which would be better than anything on the inside.
I’ve seen a product called a koalashade canopy which looks good for the price and long term could invest in a proper awning over it if conservatory can be renovated a bit. But your paint idea sounds ideal for the quick short term fix so that’s great! Thankyou

3 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Sun Sep 01, 2024 1:05 am