Damp On Three Sides of Wall.
Damp can be a major issue in the home. Find answers to questions or post your own here.

6 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
jigbeff
Apprentice
Apprentice

Damp On Three Sides of Wall.

by jigbeff » Tue Oct 10, 2023 12:06 pm

My brother has dampness on three sides of a wall which is between his front room and dining room, all sides are flaking and have serious dampness issues.
I know that damp will only travel 1.5 meters up and then stop and I want to ask this question regarding the wall.

Can I score all three walls about 6 inches above the last lot of dampness, then chip away at the old plaster until all the brickwork is revealed, then clean the brickwork with a good wire brush, treat all sides with a sealer, and this is where I am stuck as I have seen many items that can be added to the wall to stop damp from rising, so is it easier to put the membrane on the wall then add the plasterboard, or is there another option were it can be done.

Thanks

stoneyboy
Project Manager
Project Manager

Re: Damp On Three Sides of Wall.

by stoneyboy » Wed Oct 11, 2023 11:25 pm

Hi jigbeff,
I would suggest you inject a damp proof cream at, or just above floor level before you start hacking off plaster. Once the rising damp is stopped the wall will dry out.
Regards S

jigbeff
Apprentice
Apprentice

by jigbeff » Thu Oct 12, 2023 6:56 am

Thanks for the reply.

But the walls on three sides are crumbling as he is a lazy brother, so would it be still okay to do that and then maybe just scrape away the flaking paint, etc?

Jefj

jigbeff
Apprentice
Apprentice

by jigbeff » Thu Oct 12, 2023 6:59 am

jigbeff wrote:Thanks for the reply.

So after injecting, I wait until it is dry, remove the old plaster, and put up new plaster.

Jeff

stoneyboy
Project Manager
Project Manager

by stoneyboy » Thu Oct 12, 2023 10:03 pm

Hi jigbeff,
Once the wall has dried out (which may take months) you can then assess whether it needs more than surface repairs.
Regards S

jigbeff
Apprentice
Apprentice

by jigbeff » Fri Oct 13, 2023 10:32 am

Thanks for the help.

I'll let him know, but I will still have to remove the old plaster and skirting boards to get to the wall, then follow what it says regarding using the cream.

Thanks again

6 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Sat Jul 27, 2024 9:49 am