Defaulting a claim?
Information, tips and advice on all aspects of home and buildings insurance

7 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
NORMAN
Apprentice
Apprentice

Defaulting a claim?

by NORMAN » Tue Jan 20, 2009 2:14 pm

My prefab, concrete sectioned with (asbo corry roof) garage is about to collapse,mainly due to the subsidence of the base. Large cracks are appearing around the base edges.I have probed (garden cane) into these cracks and managed to get down to a depth of 4ft in places.
Question: Would a insurance claim be null & void if i dismantled the garage myself prior to total collapse?
Question:I might have grounds for a claim against the local authorities (incorrect solution to storm water flooding several years ago) that may of washed away the base hard core. Will i make null & void any claim if i do my own excavation to investigate whats below the cracked concrete base?

Many thanks all, NORMAN.

stoneyboy
Project Manager
Project Manager

by stoneyboy » Wed Jan 21, 2009 6:25 pm

NORMAN,
You must get the insurance company involved before you do anything, also take photographs just in case.
end

NORMAN
Apprentice
Apprentice

by NORMAN » Fri Jan 23, 2009 8:06 pm

OK. thanks for the swift reply stoneyboy.

£1000 access on my insurance for subsidence work. Just hope I can pin the local council down with this one or would they try passing the buck onto the party who designed the "problem storm drain"?

stoneyboy
Project Manager
Project Manager

by stoneyboy » Sat Jan 24, 2009 9:36 am

NORMAN,
Your first move must be to the insurance company, they may take matters up with the council. Your chances of getting anywhere with the Council on your own will be fairly slim, you will probably have to employ "a professional" to confirm the problem.
end

NORMAN
Apprentice
Apprentice

by NORMAN » Tue Jan 27, 2009 8:13 pm

UPDATE 28/01/09. As advised, I phoned my insurers and now I'm following their 'subsidence advisors instructions'. Thanks again stoneyboy, your advice on not doing my own excavation/investigation was spot on. Just to add to that ,the insurures also informed me "any builder that is called upon to investigate the subsidence/cause,should NOT excavate in the assesment". Can a builder do a full and accurate assesment when he's not allowed to dig down to the footings in this case?

Norman.

stoneyboy
Project Manager
Project Manager

by stoneyboy » Tue Jan 27, 2009 9:23 pm

NORMAN,
Your insurance company is very unlikely to accept the findings of a builder, you need to find a surveyor and if he asssess that excavation is needed to establish the cause of subsidence get the insurance company's approval first. You can then get the builder in to dig out - under the supervision of the surveyor. Ask your insurance company if they will pay for the sevices of the surveyor.
end

stoneyboy
Project Manager
Project Manager

by stoneyboy » Tue Jan 27, 2009 9:24 pm

NORMAN,
Your insurance company is very unlikely to accept the findings of a builder, you need to find a surveyor and if he asssess that excavation is needed to establish the cause of subsidence get the insurance company's approval first. You can then get the builder in to dig out - under the supervision of the surveyor. Ask your insurance company if they will pay for the sevices of the surveyor.
end

7 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Sun Oct 06, 2024 9:36 am