Fitting Oak Window Boards to Wonky House
Kitchens, doors, rails, stud, tables, chairs, stair cases, garden furniture etc... Find answers and ask questions here!

9 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
Guru86
Labourer
Labourer

Fitting Oak Window Boards to Wonky House

by Guru86 » Thu Aug 30, 2018 4:59 pm

Hi

I have ordered some oak window boards at 25mm thickness and 180 wide. I have got packers to help level it out however my wonky house will cause me some issues on the back.

My window cills go off at an angle for example on one cill one end has a depth of 180mm but on the other end it is only 160mm.

What is best way to fit these? Cut the back at an angle so all same depth when fitted?

Thank you

welsh brickie
Project Manager
Project Manager

Re: Fitting Oak Window Boards to Wonky House

by welsh brickie » Thu Aug 30, 2018 10:40 pm

its best to keep the front straight and cut the back, as you suggested

Sometimewoodworker
Ganger
Ganger

by Sometimewoodworker » Fri Aug 31, 2018 2:04 am

As said certainly scribe the back to the window and keep the front even, but also if the bottom of the window is not level but your new cills are then it will be glaring obvious, so probably I would maintain the same distance from the bottom of the glass. This could easily mean that the cill is not level but it will look right.

Guru86
Labourer
Labourer

by Guru86 » Fri Aug 31, 2018 7:22 am

Thank you

Is there a easier way to do this to mark out angle?

I'm thinking sliding bevel and use my circular saw to cut?

Thanks again

Sometimewoodworker
Ganger
Ganger

by Sometimewoodworker » Fri Aug 31, 2018 4:15 pm

Guru86 wrote:Thank you

Is there a easier way to do this to mark out angle?

I'm thinking sliding bevel and use my circular saw to cut?

Thanks again

Scribing is much more likely to give an exact fit, you can probably use a circular saw and guide to trim the majority, if not all, the excess. If you don't know how to scribe just look for "scribing kitchen cabinet end panel"

Personally I would not try to trim the long edge based on a sliding bevel as I would most likely not get the marking out perfect. But if you want give it a try, be sure that you can get a replacement board if you mess up the first one

Guru86
Labourer
Labourer

by Guru86 » Fri Aug 31, 2018 5:40 pm

Thanks again

I shall give scribing a go and hopefully learn quick. What would you recommend for cutting the 25mm oak when I have scribes my cut line?

Sometimewoodworker
Ganger
Ganger

by Sometimewoodworker » Sat Sep 01, 2018 11:18 am

Guru86 wrote:Thanks again

I shall give scribing a go and hopefully learn quick. What would you recommend for cutting the 25mm oak when I have scribes my cut line?

If the line is straight, or nearly so, the the circ saw works well, probably best to put a slight undercut angle on the cut of around 5 degrees as you will be able to get the smallest possible gap against the window.

collectors
Foreman
Foreman

by collectors » Sat Sep 01, 2018 12:56 pm

I fitted oak boards to all my widows & sealed & varnished everyone with around 4-5 coats. About 4 years later & now i have black stains showing from water/condensation sitting on the windowsill off the windows. Oak is known for this, so please get a really good sealer & do the edges & both sides.
As we redecorate I have had to gloss my ones now as you will never get the black stain out of oak. Good luck.

Sometimewoodworker
Ganger
Ganger

by Sometimewoodworker » Sun Sep 02, 2018 2:58 am

collectors wrote:I fitted oak boards to all my widows & sealed & varnished everyone with around 4-5 coats. About 4 years later & now i have black stains showing from water/condensation sitting on the windowsill off the windows. Oak is known for this, so please get a really good sealer & do the edges & both sides.
As we redecorate I have had to gloss my ones now as you will never get the black stain out of oak. Good luck.

Good point, though the stains will either be from mould or iron, both will stain Oak, not the water itself.

9 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Sat Jul 27, 2024 8:23 am