Information, help and advice on all areas of landscaping and land design

3 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
evorg88
Apprentice
Apprentice

Fix sleepers to ground

by evorg88 » Sun Apr 19, 2020 10:28 am

Hi,

I'm building a small raised patio area. This will be raised using a border of one course of sleepers laid on their widest side then infilled with mot type 1.

I've done a lot of google-ing regarding how to secure the sleepers to the ground, but seem to be getting conflicting ideas. I just wanted to check with anyone who has done a similar job what their experiences were...

The first method would be to sink 100mm fence posts into concrete behind the sleepers, then screw through to secure. This seems like a simple method, but with the sleepers laid on their widest side, I feel I'd have to bring the top of the fence post flush with the top of the sleeper to get a good fixing - meaning the fence post would be visible on the finished patio.

The second (more popular) method is to fix either long coach screws or stud rod to the underside of the sleepers and sink them into a bed of concrete.

As I say, the second option seems more popular but I just wanted to check if anyone has any further advice? Obviously want to get it right first time so any advice would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks in advance!

ericmark
Project Manager
Project Manager

Re: Fix sleepers to ground

by ericmark » Sat Apr 25, 2020 3:20 pm

I know we use a tamper, not exactly sure how it works, but it in some way vibrates and pushes the ballast under the sleepers so they can take the 50 ton or so of the engine travelling over them, the carriages are lighter.

I know our tamper is being refurbished at the moment, and since our gauge of 2'6" is not very common in the UK, the track gang hired a hand tamper, as to what to do when the sleeper height is not critical not so sure, but likely it is vibration which settles the sleepers so they are firm.

So likely a wacker plate would do the same thing, as you don't really need to jack up your sleepers to a set hight as done with a railway line.

Tall bloke
Apprentice
Apprentice

Re: Fix sleepers to ground

by Tall bloke » Mon Jan 04, 2021 5:49 pm

Hopefully you have finished the job by now but I built a tiered veg garden this year using 36 sleepers.
I used 12mm re-bar to pin the sleepers to the ground. I used a long 12mm wood drill to drill through the sleepers first then cut the re-bar into lengths 18 inches longer than the height of the sleeper wall and knocked them in with a sledge hammer. 2 pins per sleeper wall side. Using re-bar is a cheap solution as a 3 M length only cost a few £. The whole structure is solid even with me walking over it.

3 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Sat Jul 27, 2024 12:52 am