garage door post repair
Re-generate an old or tired space and give it a fresh breath of life. Click here for answers, information and tips

3 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
sehguh
Labourer
Labourer

garage door post repair

by sehguh » Sun May 29, 2022 3:29 pm

Hello. Could someone put me right. My next door neighbour's garage
door post has rotted (see attachment) about a foot or so up from the ground. I will try to replace that part. I have seen videos on how to cut out that part of the post. However, as the wooden post is attached to the brickwork my question is what are the best screws/bolts and drill bit (presumably masonry) to use to secure a new replacement piece of wooden post to the brickwork masonry? I think they have to be masonry screws to fit into the brickwork. Possibly coach bolts but i am not sure.
The actual post measures 1.5 inches (38mm) on the outside fascia x 2.75 inches(69.85mm) on the inside of the post.
Thank you for your help.
Attachments
thumbnail_IMG_0127.jpg

stoneyboy
Project Manager
Project Manager

Re: garage door post repair

by stoneyboy » Wed Jun 01, 2022 11:15 pm

Hi sehguh,
Let a piece of wood the same section as the post into the bottom part. Use wood screws to fix it in place, no structural strength is needed.
Regards S

sehguh
Labourer
Labourer

Re: garage door post repair

by sehguh » Sun Jun 05, 2022 8:04 pm

Hello. If i used wood screws i would have to drill a couple of holes in the brickwork and insert rawl plugs in order to secure the wood to the masonry unless i used masonry screws. Also, i would countersink the wood holes to get a flush finish with the screw heads.
Thank you for the reply.

3 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Sun Sep 01, 2024 2:34 am