Got a pond / water feature question?
Find information and help on all aspects of your garden pond e.g maintenance, pond life, construction etc....

4 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
Mr White
Project Manager
Project Manager

Got a pond / water feature question?

by Mr White » Sun Sep 30, 2018 10:31 pm

I am new here, and if by chance you should read this, then I will try and help. Sadly I can not help regarding livestock / plant questions, but if you have green water, a pump that doesn't or which type of pump to get (There are more than one type) I will try my best to answer.

Greek
Apprentice
Apprentice

Re: Got a pond / water feature question?

by Greek » Fri Nov 24, 2023 4:05 am

I purchased an electric garden water feature last year and after a few months, the electric leads that I thought I had hidden well under decorative stones to protect them, unfortunately, were chewed to bits by rodents. I'm planning to replace the parts at some point, but this time I want to make sure that I protect them with some form of tubing. However, I'd like advice as to the best way in which to do this. Can you suggest anything?

Regards
Yvonne

Mr White
Project Manager
Project Manager

by Mr White » Wed Dec 20, 2023 11:05 pm

The tubing/pipe you are referring to is called conduit. Being plastic, rats can easily gnaw through this too, it will just take longer. 😥
However, I would suggest instead of "hiding the cable under decorative stones" you remove all the decorative stones, dig a shallow trench, put the cable* in said trench cover it in the soil you removed, cover that with your decorative stones.
So long as the cable is below ground, rats ignore it, they only seem to gnaw cables that are on the surface and or in their way.

* If the cable is suitable, and in an ideal world the trench should be 40 cm deep, and have "warning tape" above it. What you actually do is your choice, but don't leave the cable exposed anywhere.

Greek
Apprentice
Apprentice

by Greek » Thu Dec 21, 2023 8:17 pm

Thank you so much for the advice. I thought I was going to have to fork out for expensive protective tubing. I probably won't do the work until next year, but I'll try to remember to let you know how it works out.
Regards
Yvonne

Mr White
Project Manager
Project Manager

by Mr White » Thu Dec 21, 2023 8:23 pm

Take pictures too. I would show what I have done, but all you would see is gravel. 😀

4 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Sat Jul 27, 2024 10:08 am