Mortar cracking around PVC door & window to conservatory
All manner of questions and solutions to problems and issues surrounding the subject of brickwork, blockwork and stonework

3 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
ANorthernGuy
Labourer
Labourer

Mortar cracking around PVC door & window to conservatory

by ANorthernGuy » Tue Feb 09, 2021 12:08 pm

Hey,
Looking into selling our property in the near future and wondered if this is anything to worry about?

It's a late 1970's mid terrace house and other than what is shown in the below photos there are no other signs of cracking in the mortar or brickwork that I can see.

On the external wall of the lounge (which is inside of the conservatory) there is some cracking to the mortar above the lintel with a small gap above the left hand side of the PVC door frame.
imgonline-com-ua-CompressToSize-vqjIecrr5qaDqYXM.jpg

There is also some cracking underneath the window frame in the centre.
imgonline-com-ua-CompressToSize-pcDMk4UPonl.jpg

On the inside there is some cracking to the joint between the ceiling and the wall and the PVC of the door frame slopes slightly but the lintel/wall doesn't.
imgonline-com-ua-CompressToSize-nvO9TZgQW5Fs.jpg

The PVC is old, could even be the original from when it was built so that may explain the mild warping of the frame.

The cracks aren't new or recent, and as far as I know haven't grown or gotten any worse.

Any advice or opinions would be greatly appreciated.

stoneyboy
Project Manager
Project Manager

Re: Mortar cracking around PVC door & window to conservatory

by stoneyboy » Wed Feb 10, 2021 10:10 pm

Hi anorthernguy
Don’t worry about the masonry cracks these are normal for the installation method used.
The sagging of the door should be addressed and it may be a matter of adjusting the hinges to get a better fit.
Regards S

ANorthernGuy
Labourer
Labourer

Re: Mortar cracking around PVC door & window to conservatory

by ANorthernGuy » Thu Feb 11, 2021 8:56 am

Thanks Stoneboy,

I stupidly googled cracks in mortar and you can imagine the results.
I just didn't want to go through the whole sale to find out the house is subsiding and it all fall through.

I think it may just be the weight of the door has pulled the frame down slightly over time, I might get someone to come and have a look at the PVC and straighten it up as the lintel is still straight above it.

3 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Sun Oct 06, 2024 10:22 am