Old House, Stone walls, Cement Render, Internal or External Insulation
Information, help, tips and advice on cavity walls, ceilings and lofts etc....

Jenkins123/
Labourer
Labourer

Re: Old House, Stone walls, Cement Render, Internal or External Insulation

by Jenkins123/ » Wed May 25, 2016 12:18 pm

Hi all.
Just a short post . I got a old stone house (1900) renovating the whole house. had some rising damp had it all injected. Probably solved. But thinking about insulating the inside of the property.
Got bashing on the out side sand cement with water proffer. But as we all know stone houses got to breth.
So the way I'm thinking of is to render in side but don't know what with as yet.?
Cement or line? Help please on that one?
And dot and dab with insulation boards with a slim .
Do anyone see a problem with my method.
Any help would be much appreciated.

Bauwer
Apprentice
Apprentice

by Bauwer » Wed Nov 30, 2016 10:31 am

Jigsaw1980 wrote:Hi Guys,

Been researching this for ages and need some advice. Bought an old house (circa 1860), 2 foot solid stone walls some damp issues (sources of which mainly found and some hopefully sorted).

Been looking at insulation both internal and external. I like the idea of External and got a quote for it. The quote seems to use all non breathable products. Additionally the house has an external cement render (i know its bad).

By putting a non breathable insulation layer on the outside (with acrylic render which apprently wont crack) on top of a non breathable cement render (which has a few cracks) will it make things worse rather than better? My understanding is that water wont get into the walls from the outside but Im concerned that the moisture generated inside the house will have no where to get out.

Would i be better doing internal insulation using breathable materials and use lime plaster with an air gap and (eventually) remove the cement render and replace with a lime render (am dreading this as its a massive job!)

Any ideas greatly appreciated!

Many thanks!

Hi Mate,
Breathable, traditionally built homes require breathable insulation solutions.
Could you please see below the article on the budget permeable insulation options available on the market:

http://greenbuilding.co.uk/insulating-m ... buildings/

Regards, Alexander
Attachments
Breathable insulation render plaster analysis
Breathable insulation render plaster analysis

diydoctor6
Ganger
Ganger

by diydoctor6 » Wed Jan 11, 2017 2:01 pm

This is a really interesting thread. Great solution DrNick, and I'm pleased that it has all worked out.

There are some detailed instructions about how to attempt the various methods of fitting internal wall insulation yourself in this project:

https://www.diydoctor.org.uk/projects/in ... gwalls.htm

If you can afford the space, as Welshbrickie says, internal insulation is the option to go for whenever you can.

Bauwer
Apprentice
Apprentice

by Bauwer » Thu Jan 12, 2017 12:13 am

diydoctor6 wrote:This is a really interesting thread. Great solution DrNick, and I'm pleased that it has all worked out.

There are some detailed instructions about how to attempt the various methods of fitting internal wall insulation yourself in this project:

https://www.diydoctor.org.uk/projects/in ... gwalls.htm

If you can afford the space, as Welshbrickie says, internal insulation is the option to go for whenever you can.

Internal insulation would keep your walls cold, as it would insulate them from the heated internal space, etc. External insulation allows walls to be work and use them as a heat accumulator.

speedstick15
Labourer
Labourer

by speedstick15 » Tue Jan 17, 2017 7:49 pm

I would use a cavity in between the walls. Cement/Stone is tricky to deal with. Spray foam as well helps, but have to use it carefully. There's some helpful videos around about external insulation.

Alexh22
Labourer
Labourer

by Alexh22 » Sun May 13, 2018 8:30 pm

Dr nick,

Thread revival..

Any update on how this worked out for you?

Jenkins123/
Labourer
Labourer

by Jenkins123/ » Mon May 14, 2018 11:37 am

Just dot and dab with insulation boards. Works a treat. Moved in now and nice and warm.

Alexh22
Labourer
Labourer

by Alexh22 » Mon May 14, 2018 6:16 pm

Damp would come through the dab. He'd broke the transfer with a membrane and stud. I was interested to see how it's lasted

Jenkins123/
Labourer
Labourer

by Jenkins123/ » Mon May 14, 2018 11:04 pm

I only had a bit of rising damp. Witch was treated first. Then left for about 12 or so months. I just cracked on the rest of the project. When it come to dot and dabing damp was all sorted.

It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 5:59 pm