Portable Air Con Window Seal Help
Help, advice and problem solutions on all aspects of home appliances from washing machines to TV's

3 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
clolouise24
Labourer
Labourer

Portable Air Con Window Seal Help

by clolouise24 » Fri Jun 02, 2023 1:27 pm

Hi there!

We live in a flat that's converted from an old mill - as nice as it is, it can get incredibly hot during the spring/summer due to the size of the windows and positioning.

After last years heatwave, this year we've tried to jump ahead of the curve and purchase a portable air conditioning unit to test out and see if it helps, however we must have the worse style of windows to use one with - so just looking on some advice on how to make it work (without paying loads as we have just spent £400+ on the air con unit), the main thing is a solution that we can easily move from one room to another.

I've managed to make a bit of a makeshift set up for now just so we can see if the air con does make a difference - we've tried one of the the window fabric covers like this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=201-1ik72jw but couldn't figure it out at all! The fabric didn't stretch enough for us to really get the tube out, and seemed like a right faff to move from room to room - I was wondering if there was something similar that was just a square piece of fabric we could put over the window? My other idea was to get a custom cut piece of acrylic plastic to place against the window alongside the guard that came with the unit, similar to my makeshift solution at the moment haha.

Just wondering if there's any easier ideas - or if these seem like feasible ideas?

Thank you for the help in advance!

Best,
Chloe

MicrosoftTeams-image.jpg

MicrosoftTeams-image (2).jpg

MicrosoftTeams-image (1).jpg

stoneyboy
Project Manager
Project Manager

Re: Portable Air Con Window Seal Help

by stoneyboy » Sun Jun 04, 2023 10:56 pm

Hi clolouise24.
Your plastic idea should work fine but make it larger than the biggest opening you want to cover and form the vent hole off centre. Use blutack or something similar to hold it in place.
Have you tried reflective film on the windows - this can make tremendous difference to the amount of heat entering through the glass.
Regards S

ericmark
Project Manager
Project Manager

Re: Portable Air Con Window Seal Help

by ericmark » Sat Jul 08, 2023 2:25 pm

I made a front for the fire so the hot air goes up the chimney. This means no windows open so can plug the AC into a smart adaptor and switch it on before we return home.

I tried the frame on the window it was a failure.

3 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Sat Jul 27, 2024 8:25 am