This paint stinks!!!!
General decorating topics, questions and answers. find help, tips and advice on completing your decorating projects

TommyDK
Labourer
Labourer

Re: This paint stinks!!!!

by TommyDK » Sun Feb 28, 2021 11:24 am

Anyone tried a UV Room Disinfection Device?

Have been thinking about buying one and trying it out in one of my rooms that smells so disgusting after it was painted in October 2020.

Sometimes the smell is so violent in my home that I would rather sleep in the garage. :(

sorbustree123
Labourer
Labourer

by sorbustree123 » Fri Nov 12, 2021 8:41 am

Hello. I'm really hoping this forum is still in use and that someone might be able to help. We used some Valspar Trade Pure brilliant white Matt Emulsion paint to repaint a room in our house, washed down with sugar soap first, and after the walls stank like cat pee! We've did some research online and discovered that this is a known problem... mainly via this forum! We followed the advice and repainted the walls with two coats of Zinsser BIN. This seemed to have helped and the cat pee smell went away. Last night I applied the first coat of Farrow and Ball on top of the Zinsser BIN and the room now smells very odd and strongly, almost like liquorice or hay. It goes away when the window is open and the room is ventilated. It's bizarre and we have no idea what to try next, plus it's costing a lot of time and money to fix. We have new carpets going down at in a couple of weeks' time, so we really want to resolve this issue ASAP. Look forward to hearing from you all and thanks in advance!

Molly1961
Labourer
Labourer

by Molly1961 » Mon Oct 02, 2023 10:09 pm

I know this is an old thread, and it is frightening to see that there are still issues with paint smells over so many years. I bought Dulux Total Cover Matte recently. First of all, it doesn't cover that well. The worst is the acrid smell in my daughter's room, it is so bad. It has been three weeks since painting it and the smell is not abating. I've left the window open day and night in the last few days and it is not making any difference. My daughter is now sleeping temporarily in another room. I have called Dulux and they are going to send out a rep possibly with a free bucket of vinyl silk to paint over it. The room had previously been painted 5 years ago. I cleaned the walls with sugar soap and washed this off. Room was dry before painting it. I did not add water to the paint. Anyone else having the same issue with Dulux Total Cover Matte? Also, how safe is it for my daughter to sleep in it?

It is currently Sun Apr 28, 2024 10:30 pm