Neutral in consumer unit also used as an earth
Ask questions and find answers to many subjects relating to electrics and electrical work

2 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
remelad
Tradesman
Tradesman

Neutral in consumer unit also used as an earth

by remelad » Fri Apr 18, 2008 8:34 pm

Please can anyone advise me on this. I have got a consumer unit to change and found that there is no earth as such. Inside the c/u a wire has been strapped from the neutral block to the earth block. I know TN-C-S is a similar format,however the neutral and earth are connected at the distributor's cut out not the c/u. An earth spike is not possible, can any one advise me on this matter.I am part p qualified,its just this is the 1st time i've come across something like this.
Many thanks in advance.

ericmark

by ericmark » Fri Apr 18, 2008 9:53 pm

If you ask the supply agent they will tell you they don't have to provide one but if you ask the supply agent what earth you should have they are duty bound to tell you and it must be the same type as fitted to neighboring houses so they will be forced to come out to inspect and if it should be TN-C-S provide you with the earth. Or at least give you definitive report on which earthing system should be used. If they do say it is TT you have no option you will have to put in an earth rod or fit gas lights? I have in the past lifted floor boards and driven in an earth stake there and instructed owner it needs a hatch making for access. Even cut out lumps of concrete and fitted one in the street complete with proper inspection hatch pre-marked earth.

2 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Sat Oct 05, 2024 8:29 pm