extending light switch wiring
Ask questions and find answers to many subjects relating to electrics and electrical work

3 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
geezer01
Apprentice
Apprentice

extending light switch wiring

by geezer01 » Tue Aug 19, 2008 4:51 pm

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

hi guys, i have a little problem

i want to change the location of a light switch....the problem is there is not enough slack in one of the wires.

The switch is a 2 gangway 2 way switch for for the upstairs/downstairs hallway. I think its the 2 way wire which is not long enough...its got a grey, brown and blue wires inside the sleeving.

is there any way of extending the wire...i was thinking a juction box..if so should i use a 20 amp junction box or a 30 amp box?

cheers in advance!

ericmark

by ericmark » Tue Aug 19, 2008 6:26 pm

Ashley part of Hager do a Maintenance Free Junction Box which you can plaster over but normal one with screws have to be accessible. For lights 5 amp is ample.
Advert shows it as 4 way with 4 connections. The other way is crimp or solder with self alginateing tape then standard insulation tape.
I would visit a whole sale outlet and ask new things every week and they are normally helpfull.
Eric

TOPSPARK
Ganger
Ganger

by TOPSPARK » Wed Aug 20, 2008 10:04 pm

If the cable is being extended and you can put the existing cable under the floor then get a 4terminal 20 amp junction box and connect the wire into this and put the junction boxin the floor if this is upstairs.
all the best
Topspark

3 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Wed Jun 26, 2024 7:54 am