Advice Please: Gas hob problem replacing 90s Whirlpool oven
Help, advice and problem solutions on all aspects of home appliances from washing machines to TV's

3 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
stymied
Labourer
Labourer

Advice Please: Gas hob problem replacing 90s Whirlpool oven

by stymied » Fri Aug 29, 2008 7:17 pm

The thermostat of my 13 year old Whirlpool oven has 'died' on me, but when I looked into replacing the oven, I found that the new Whirlpool ovens are bigger, and if you have a gas hob, the positioning of the gas pipe "in those days" means that the new Whirlpools won't fit. The distance from my pipe to the front of the oven space is about 505mm.

Has anyone else had this problem?

How was it resolved?

If I have to get the gas pipe to the gas hob re-positioned, how much is this likely to cost?

Is it even possible without redoing the kitchen?

Are there any ovens which would fit into the original cavity?

Are there any 2008 cookers that would fit into the 'old' cavity space?

I am reluctant to replace my gas hob with a ceramic hob. I like cooking with gas, and I also like having an alternative to electricity in case of a power failure. But should I consider this? (Incidentally, I do have budget constraints.)

Thank you, thank you...any advice would be appreciated.

plumbbob
Project Manager
Project Manager

by plumbbob » Sun Aug 31, 2008 10:56 am

I don't think that the designs of ovens has changed dramatically over the years, but the original fitter built the kitchen to accept the oven that was to be installed. Single built under ovens are generally smaller and don't fit so far back.

There are a whole range of cookers each with different dimensions. Trawl the internet and look for a design that will fit.

You don't describe where the pipe is so it is not possible to answer questions about moving it, but a corgi guy will soon tell you.

This is a problem kitchen fitters come up against all the time, and personally I have never failed to fit an oven yet.

TheDoctor5

by TheDoctor5 » Tue Jan 20, 2009 10:00 am

Last year 64% of the questions asked in our forum were answered within our DIY project pages at www.diydoctor.org.uk/projects.htm The project pages are now separated alphabetically and your answers are accompanied by diagrams and the ability to see, and buy, the tools and/or required to complete your project. Use our search box to look for your answer and save a great deal of time and money!

3 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Fri Oct 18, 2024 7:13 am