All aspects of plumbing questions and answers, help, tips and information

10 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
paulb
Apprentice
Apprentice

Problem With Immersion

by paulb » Fri Sep 05, 2008 5:22 pm

Hi All

Have just had new hot water cylinder and immersion fitted. If immersion is left on water is hot and works ok but when switched off and left overnight water is stone cold. There are no obvious leaks.Boiler for heating is oil fired.

Any help appreciated

Paulb

Dave From Leeds
Ganger
Ganger

by Dave From Leeds » Sat Sep 06, 2008 1:23 am

My guess is that you have an "Indirect Hot Water" system where the water in the cylinder should be heated by hot water from your boiler passing through a coil of pipe inside the cylinder then gravity feeding back to the boiler. It may be that there is an airlock in the heating coil in the cylinder, preventing the flow to and from your boiler. However I'm no plumber so I can't be certain.

htg engineer
Project Manager
Project Manager

by htg engineer » Sat Sep 06, 2008 7:15 am

Is the question about the immersion - as this seems to be working ok - you say it is switched off, so obviously it wont heat the water.

Or about the cylinder being unable to retain the heat ?

The water should still be at least warm the next day, Is the cylinder insulated ? try fitting a jacket.

htg

paulb
Apprentice
Apprentice

by paulb » Sat Sep 06, 2008 11:55 am

Thanks for replies

Yes problem is that cylinder does not retain heat overnight.

Heating system has not been on when I have tried immersion,should this make a difference?

Also cylinder is brand new and insulated

Dadwood
Ganger
Ganger

by Dadwood » Sun Sep 07, 2008 11:41 am

I don't think you've said whether your central heating boiler can also heat your domestic hot water. Can it?
If you go to bed knowing that the cylinder contains plenty of hot water, and yet in the morning it has become cold, then that water must be going somewhere. You're not using an old type hot-fill washing machine or dishwasher overnight to take advantage of low tariff electricity, are you?

Dadwood
Ganger
Ganger

by Dadwood » Sun Sep 07, 2008 2:28 pm

If you do indeed have an indirect system, then there is another, albeit only slight, possibility. It is this; if the boiler is not set to fire but for some reason the pump is circulating (cold) water through the cylinder heating coil, then that coil water could be taking the heat out of the domestic hot water and pushing it around the rads. (Are the rads slightly warmer than the ambient room temperatures?)

nitro23456
Foreman
Foreman

by nitro23456 » Sun Sep 07, 2008 3:28 pm

Your not using the water somewhere are you? Dishwasher/Washing machine overnight perhaps?

Perhaps the immersion isny being left on long enough and not all the water is being heated.... When your heating is on you should be ok with the coil heating the water - we are getting to that time of year.

Id imagine at present, either the water is being used, the immersion isnt on for long enough or the immersion isnt capable of heating more than a small amount of water (wrong size for cylinder)

bobplum
Foreman
Foreman

by bobplum » Sun Sep 07, 2008 4:15 pm

do you have two immersion elements one at the top and one at the bottom if so is the top one only being used therefore only top of tank getting used and cooling quickly and is it the right length

paulb
Apprentice
Apprentice

by paulb » Tue Sep 09, 2008 10:18 am

Thanks for all comments

In response

No dishwasher or W/M is being used overnight

Central heating boiler does heat hot water but this and pump are not switched on

Cylinder & immersion are brand new so they should be correct sizes

There are 2 immersion elements I have tried the "Bath" one and left it on for 4 hours in the evening water is very hot before I leave overnight.

Thanks again for any help

Paul

nitro23456
Foreman
Foreman

by nitro23456 » Tue Sep 09, 2008 12:29 pm

Why not heat your water for when you need it? ie immersions on a timer.

Also, have you checked the thermostat of the immersion(s)?.... it would be normal to have this set to 60 degress celsius... it is possible the installer set it lower.

Why are you not using your boiler for your hot water anyway? An immersion is normally meant more as a back-up. Even with your heating off you should still be able to heat your hot water using your boiler using your programmer as you should have a 3-port valve.

10 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Thu Jul 04, 2024 3:16 pm