central heating problem
Help and information on all topics relating to your central heating, air conditioning and ventilation issues.

3 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
garry
Labourer
Labourer

central heating problem

by garry » Tue May 08, 2007 10:36 am

Hi, I have a problem with the overflow on my hot water feed tank the level rises above the ball valve to overflow. I have change the ball valve and noticed the the water in the tank is quite warm.

I now suspect the three way valve is stuck and forcing water back to tank, does anybody have any ideas. The LED on the top of the valve does not indicate anything when water is on, I moved the manual switch on the valve it felt stiff to move then suddenly quite free (a bit too free) i suspect its not doing anything.

I did turn of the water supply on the central heating off to make sure the coil in the tank was not punctured and passing water into the not water, we have not had the heating on for a week or so just hot water.

Thanks
Garry

DONFRAMAC
Ganger
Ganger

Central heating problem

by DONFRAMAC » Fri May 11, 2007 2:59 am

Even with the supply to your radiators shut-down, static water in your radiators can corrode the steel, producing hydrogen gas, which can find its way to the return to the boiler, and cause the sort of problem you are experiencing. You should run the heating occasionally, and ensure it is kept properly bled, but there is a strong suggestion that your anti-corrosion chemicals are exhausted, requiring system drainage/flushing/refill + Inhibitor. Priming afterwards can be a pain.

powerflushman
Apprentice
Apprentice

Central heating problem

by powerflushman » Sun May 20, 2007 10:15 pm

Hi you didnt say if the water still overflows? and as for the water getting warm it will, some of the heat from the hotwater tank will transfer upto the header tank, hope this helps/ :o

3 posts   •   Page 1 of 1