Replacing a Light Switch
Ask questions and find answers to many subjects relating to electrics and electrical work

4 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
juliejones
Labourer
Labourer

Replacing a Light Switch

by juliejones » Tue Sep 16, 2008 7:02 pm

I am replacing a light switch in the bedroom and I am really confused about it. On the new switch the terminals are marked L1, L2 and one with an arrow and a wavy line. Please could you tell me which one is the live an which is neutral? The instructions with the switch refer to Live and Switch live but do not mention neutral or the colours of the wires. Please help.

kuzz
Ganger
Ganger

by kuzz » Tue Sep 16, 2008 10:43 pm

You do not connect the neutral to the switch! if you did when you switched the switch you would connect live and neutral together. BANG!!! Chances are switch would be no more. check the projects section for diagrams and to get a better understanding of how it works.
You may well have disconnected a black wire from the old switch? hence the confusion? if that's the case it should be marked red as this is your switch wire

TOPSPARK
Ganger
Ganger

by TOPSPARK » Tue Sep 16, 2008 10:49 pm

The two existing wires at the switch should be if old colours 2 red wires and if new colours 2 brown wires.or If in old colours red and black in new brown and blue. there isnt a neutral at the switch if only two wires. so connect the red or brown to the terminal marked eith the wavy line and the other wire to the terminal marked L2 and all should be ok
regards
Topspark

ericmark

by ericmark » Wed Sep 17, 2008 1:01 am

With the exception of switches with neon indicators switches do not have neutrals although a black or blue wire may be sleeved and used as switch wire.
In the main it does not matter which way around a switch is wired.
The wavy line means it is designed for AC.
Neutral is considered as a "Live" wire.
The Phase wire on a single phase supply is called "Line".
I will guess that you have two wires in one cable and these wires will go to either com and L1 or L1 and L2 depending how the switch is labeled but guessing with 230 volt can be dangerous.
All Line wires should be old colour red or new colour brown and sleeves should always be used if a different colour is used but in practice the sleeves are often missing.
There is only one safe way call an electrician.
Eric

4 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Mon Jun 17, 2024 12:56 am