Lowering loft floor to get head height in loft
Re-generate an old or tired space and give it a fresh breath of life. Click here for answers, information and tips

6 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
albo
Labourer
Labourer

Lowering loft floor to get head height in loft

by albo » Thu Sep 18, 2008 3:29 pm

Hi! New boy here......I've been advised that it's possible to lower the existing loft floor in my house to give a reasonable head height to a proposed loft conversion I'm looking at doing.

This 1. sounds expensive and 2. extremely messy. This would I assume necessitate the lowering of the first floor ceiling...or am I being daft.

If this is the case are there any books/advice that can give me a few pointers before I engage the services of a Loft Conversion outfit or even an architect.
I'm not intending doing the work myself I just like to be armed with all the relevant info so I know what's going on.

Albo

toptips
Ganger
Ganger

by toptips » Wed Oct 15, 2008 9:44 am

hi,i done the same job for a friend,we first built new 7x2 ceilings in all the bedrooms and the landing about a foot lower than the existing.all the lighting was then fitted to the lower ceilings.
as it was a playroom only a velox window was fitted and all the old lath and plaster ceilings were passed through this and on to a tower to be removed,as you can imagine the dust was very bad to say the least but very little was leaked below.
the new 7x2 ceilings then became the loft floor,he was very lucky and got all the timber for £100 from a site that had overordered.

albo
Labourer
Labourer

by albo » Wed Oct 22, 2008 5:21 pm

thanks toptips, i'll have a look at this and see how feasible it is.

mdpmspitfire
Tradesman
Tradesman

loft height

by mdpmspitfire » Wed Nov 26, 2008 9:56 pm

could i suggest a dormer roof or a type of atrium to give you the additional height. both obviously need planning but an atrium looks fantastic, gives great light a view plus loads of ventilation if incorporated.
you could construct roof to match existing pitch of house.
mark

gaconsult
Apprentice
Apprentice

by gaconsult » Thu Dec 11, 2008 8:17 am

if you remove old ceiling joists and lower the ceiling be careful as the old ceiling joists act as a tie for the rafters to prevent roof spread.

TheDoctor5

by TheDoctor5 » Fri Jan 30, 2009 9:16 am

If you type the key words of your question into our search box to the left of the site you may find the answer is already posted or is in the DIY projects section of the website. Every post goes through a monitoring process and using the search box may speed up your answer.

6 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Sun Oct 06, 2024 7:36 am