replacing downlighters
Ask questions and find answers to many subjects relating to electrics and electrical work

3 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
jenny.grannysmith
Labourer
Labourer

replacing downlighters

by jenny.grannysmith » Tue Sep 23, 2008 5:44 pm

Sorry if this one's been done to death - first time on this forum.
2 of the 4 downlighter bulbs in my kitchen need replacing, but I cannot shift the dead bulbs. I did have similar in previous rented accom, and tho they were a bit fiddly to replace, I always got there eventually. These seem glued in their sockets. (Fitted by house vendor about a year ago )
Related query: would it be easy/ a good idea to replace the ceiling fittings completely with something I can cope with more easily ie. with trad bulbs ? No idea what I'll do when the other 2 bulbs go.
Obviously this wouldn't be a DIY project !
Any thoughts ?

ericmark

by ericmark » Wed Sep 24, 2008 1:44 pm

There are two ways forward.
1) Something easy to change.
2) Something that rarely needs changing.
Kitchens need a far bit of light so discharge or LED seems the way to go. LED down lighters have increased in power over the years and that would look like simple answer or if Low voltage (Don't think there are extra low voltage versions) then cold cathode can also be used.
Changing to standard florescent tubes is other way my house built 1979 has had the tubes replaced 3 times.
Plus in the Kitchen you want to keep it as cool as you can and discharge and LED lamps will help keep a kitchen cool.
Note:- 230 volt is called Low Voltage the 12 volt lamps are called Extra Low Voltage.
Eric

TOPSPARK
Ganger
Ganger

by TOPSPARK » Wed Sep 24, 2008 8:00 pm

You have not said what type of downlighters you have only some are different sizes to others. As your lamps are proving difficult to remove i assume you have the downlighters with the edison screw fittings. As the lamps are always hard to remove why not change the fittings for more modern ones and the lamps will then be easier to change when they go.
regards
Topspark
ps if still unsure then call in an electrician and he can best advise you.

3 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Mon Jun 17, 2024 4:00 am