Outside light
Ask questions and find answers to many subjects relating to electrics and electrical work

8 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
BobAjob2
Apprentice
Apprentice

Outside light

by BobAjob2 » Tue Oct 07, 2008 3:38 pm

Might be a daft question this one, but, can I rig up an outside light, just drill through the wall, feed cable through, fit a 3 pin plug and leave it plugged into an existing socket?

davey_erm_dave
Labourer
Labourer

by davey_erm_dave » Tue Oct 07, 2008 9:14 pm

Yes you can, i have an outside light at the front of my house which is wired the same way. i have just purchased one for the rear and plan to do the same thing.

BLAKEY1963
Site Agent
Site Agent

Re: Outside light

by BLAKEY1963 » Tue Oct 07, 2008 11:13 pm

[quote="BobAjob2"]Might be a daft question this one, but, can I rig up an outside light, just drill through the wall, feed cable through, fit a 3 pin plug and leave it plugged into an existing socket?[/quote]

BOBAJOB2
IF u look at implications of part p for outdoor work and
register with labc.

BLAKEY1963

ericmark

by ericmark » Tue Oct 07, 2008 11:25 pm

There are two regulations to check Part P and Part L there is a link in projects to Part P and from that you should also find Part L.
I think you are OK with Part P mounting on the wall like you say but worth checking and I think Part L limits size and switching methods think has to be less than 150 watt and needs some method to stop it running 24/7 but don’t know off hand limitations.
Electrical I see no problem.
Eric

androo
Labourer
Labourer

by androo » Wed Oct 15, 2008 6:13 pm

Hello

I am trying to wire an outside security light from an existing interior light switch. I've changed the single switch for a double but I'll be blowed if I can get it to work!!

I know it's only a question of wiring the thing correctly as I did it in a previous house.

If I stick a 13amp plug on the end and plug in to a socket it works no problem.

The light is 150watt

Any help appreciated

Sara H
Apprentice
Apprentice

by Sara H » Thu Oct 16, 2008 12:00 am

Bobajob2 - Any circuit that runs outdoors should be protected via an RCD as described within the regs. You can run the light from a socket but I would suggest the socket is changed to an RCD version or you purchase an RCD trip plug and plug your 3 pin plug in that way. To over come the issue of wasting energy and ensuring it is not on 24/7 perhaps a photocell or IR unit can be incorporated as a switching device.
HTH

Sara

Androo - The reason your outside light is not powering up is simple there is no neutral or complete circuit for it to work. Whilst a light switch may have a red and black or possibly a brown and blue cable going to two terminals these are not Live and Neutral. One is Live (Common) and the other your Switched Live (L1). By jumpering from the two on the rear of the switch (I assume that is what you are doing) there is no neutral and hence an incomplete circuit. The reason why it works from a 13a plug is becuase you are connecting one cable to the neutral and one to the live and if outside I would imagine an earth too. This forms a circuit and hence your light illuminates.

HTH

Sara

ericmark

by ericmark » Thu Oct 16, 2008 7:37 am

androo there is no neutral in most light switches you must wire to sealing rose. See http://www.ericpalmer.fsnet.co.uk/Lighting.html to see how lights are wired.
Eric

androo
Labourer
Labourer

Re: Security Light

by androo » Sat Nov 01, 2008 5:26 pm

My apologies for not responding earlier. Many thanks for the replies.
Problem is, trying to get a nuetral wire to the light switch. There is nothing reasonable accessible. I think my solution is, to put a plug on the cable and do it that way. Not as neat a job. But at least I'll have the light working.... :cry:

Thanks

Androo

8 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Sat Jun 29, 2024 3:38 am