leak in edges of upstairs and downstairs of UPVC windows
Damp can be a major issue in the home. Find answers to questions or post your own here.

5 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
mgdiy
Labourer
Labourer

leak in edges of upstairs and downstairs of UPVC windows

by mgdiy » Tue Oct 28, 2008 2:57 pm

I have large UPVC windows which were installed long before I moved in 4 years ago. The first winter downpour revealed a small waterfall trickling down the right hand side wall return that the window is set in. A quick look showed traces of damp in the ceiling cornice and the wall below the the window had blown. Also the corresponding window above had similar water coming in. We think it is coming from the top window after a hose test.

We have had UPVC seals checked. Had the white plastic cladding on the fascia taken off and the felt and leading replaced. The roof has also been looked at and the walls which are a bath stone composite have been sprayed with a sealant.

We are at a loss as to where the water is coming from, any thoughts or something we may have missed???

Thanks

Pihohpah
Labourer
Labourer

Leaking PVC Windows

by Pihohpah » Tue Nov 18, 2008 9:58 am

Hi,

Had similar problem with some old PVC Units. Eventually found that they didn't have breather holes outside to allow trapped water to trickle out onto windowsill - Trapped water built up and eventually found way into house. Couple of quick drill holes late and no more leaks. :)

Perry525
Site Agent
Site Agent

by Perry525 » Tue Nov 18, 2008 7:05 pm

You have three possible events.
A leaking roof. Go up into the loft and check out the roof using a bright lead light, lay on the floor and get as close as you can.
Water can enter a roof and run a long way before it shows, it may be running down a rafter and entering the cavity wall if you have one.
Wind blown rain can hit exposed walls and roofs with the force of a bullet, far harder than the water out of a hose pipe. It can blow up hill, it can blow through solid walls. Think about this, does the water come through when the winds blows from a particular direction?
Not all windows are fitted as well as you may expect. Wind blow rain may be finding its way in round the frames.

mdpmspitfire
Tradesman
Tradesman

windows

by mdpmspitfire » Fri Nov 28, 2008 7:53 pm

lack of drainage holes could def be a problem. i came accross a window problem with white ali frames. although the seals we ok. for some reason water was entering between glass and seal by capillery action and being drawn into the middle of the frame. drilling drainage holes did help but in order to erradicate completly i installed a wide drip moulding over the top of the frames to re-direct and keep the majority of rain off. drastic i know but apart from replacing all frames, the next best thing. this was done 5 years ago and is still working.
mark

TheDoctor5

by TheDoctor5 » Fri Jan 30, 2009 9:44 am

If you type the key words of your question into our search box to the left of the site you may find the answer is already posted or is in the DIY projects section of the website. Every post goes through a monitoring process and using the search box may speed up your answer.

5 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Sun Oct 06, 2024 7:37 am