DIY installation of a gas fired boiler.
Help and information on all topics relating to your central heating, air conditioning and ventilation issues.

7 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
Grandad
Apprentice
Apprentice

DIY installation of a gas fired boiler.

by Grandad » Wed Oct 29, 2008 11:28 am

Can someone please clarify.

If you install a gas fired boiler yourself (DIY), do you have to involve a corgi registered fitter at any stage. Is there any form of official completion certificate? Is the local authority involved?

Grandad

htg engineer
Project Manager
Project Manager

by htg engineer » Thu Oct 30, 2008 3:44 pm

DIY boiler installation = void warranty and no CORGI certification.

No CORGI certificate = potentially dangerous installation, plus you can't sell your house as you need the certificate for the HIP's.

Also if any goes wrong - probably void house insurance.

Not worth it, get a RGI to fit the boiler, you could do radiators etc yourself but may cost more for the installer to put right if you cock it up.

htg

chris_on_tour2002
Project Manager
Project Manager

by chris_on_tour2002 » Fri Oct 31, 2008 7:09 pm

from a purely legal perspective, i believe that you can do everything but the gas - you can't even run pipework for that. any involvement whatsoever with gas MUST be carried out by a CORGI registered engineer. they must do the work themselves and are not allowed to certify work of others who are not properly qualified. to do so is risking their own certification and possibly a jail sentence - which, by the way, you also risk if you work on gas without the necessary certifications.

there are also very many rules regarding siting of flues, pressure reliefs, drain-off for condensate etc.

i'd advise that you read between the lines of htg's response - if unqualified then it's unwise to get involved - call an engineer.

Grandad
Apprentice
Apprentice

by Grandad » Sat Nov 01, 2008 2:18 pm

All sounds a bit "doom and gloom" doesn't it. I built this house I live in which is out in the country. I have a lifetimes experience in the building industry, and I am competent in every trade except plastering. Pretty poor at that.

I designed and installed my current heating system which is oil fired. Oil has become so expensive I began to think about converting to gas which is now available.

Being a crotchety old sod I don't like other tradesmen's work. It is never good enough for me. So I will now consider my options.

Grandad.

bobplum
Foreman
Foreman

by bobplum » Sun Nov 02, 2008 11:32 am

good morning
im sorry but there is no options when it comes to the law?

Grandad
Apprentice
Apprentice

by Grandad » Mon Nov 03, 2008 11:56 am

You may have misunderstood. The options I have are to either stick with oil or move to gas. Still thinking.

Grandad.

plumbbob
Project Manager
Project Manager

by plumbbob » Mon Nov 03, 2008 6:57 pm

I have a letter in my and here from British Gas apologizing for their 35% increase in gas prices this July. In the past when I have done cost comparisons between the two fuels, there has been very little difference to choose between them and I am not sure that has changed any. Ok, the price of oil has risen sharply recently, but so has gas. The price of oil is now on the way down, but that is not reflected in my gas bill!

Frankly, there is no way I would spend money changing from one fuel to another. Maybe I am wrong and gas is more economical, but who knows? If you want to spend money, use it to save energy on such things as better insulation and heating controls. What about a more efficient boiler? A gas condensing combi perhaps?

7 posts   •   Page 1 of 1