Damp on interior walls from chimney breast.
Damp can be a major issue in the home. Find answers to questions or post your own here.

3 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
cartergraeme
Labourer
Labourer

Damp on interior walls from chimney breast.

by cartergraeme » Mon Nov 10, 2008 1:42 pm

Moved into a 1930's detached house 4 months ago. The original fires in the two bedrooms have been closed up by the previous owner. Also the fires in the living/dinning rooms have also been closed up.

When the roof was replaced by the previous owner, they had the chimney stacks removed, and the then new roof covered over the top of the chimney breast (N.B. the chimney breasts are external because of the house being detached).

We have noticed that there is a dampness to both bedrooms, also some white spots which have appeared on the inside of the wall where the chimney breast runs. We have used a damp meter which confirmed the presence of damp.

There is no ventilation to either of the chimney breast, internal or external and I am certain that this is causing the problem.

I believe I need to ventilate the chimney breast but do not know where abouts to place the ventilation units. Do they need to be internal/external, upstairs/downstrairs??

Also will I have problems with the soot particles in the chimney breast?

Any help would be much appreciated.

Cheers

no1son
Apprentice
Apprentice

damp on interior walls boarded up fire openings

by no1son » Tue Nov 25, 2008 10:55 pm

a ventilation opening is needed for each boarded up fireplace and an additional vent at the top of the stack,it would be advisable to vent the stack with an airbrick first to reduce the risk of any soot fall entering internal rooms.any black mould appearing should be treated with a mould killer and not bleach contrary to others doctrine bleach does not kill the spores.

TheDoctor5

by TheDoctor5 » Fri Jan 30, 2009 9:36 am

If you type the key words of your question into our search box to the left of the site you may find the answer is already posted or is in the DIY projects section of the website. Every post goes through a monitoring process and using the search box may speed up your answer.

3 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Fri Sep 20, 2024 3:50 pm