In Line Flex Switch Query
Ask questions and find answers to many subjects relating to electrics and electrical work

3 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
Yashin
Apprentice
Apprentice

In Line Flex Switch Query

by Yashin » Sat Jan 10, 2009 2:06 pm

My wife, in her wisdom, has just bought a new deep fat fryer which does not have an on / off switch on the unit, you have to turn off at the mains. The last one had a switch on the unit. Because so much of our kitchen is built in the acess to the mains switch is very difficult, in a cupboard behind a load of stuff basically.

What I thought of doing was fitting an in-line flex switch external to the cupboard.

The deep fat fryer has a 13 amp fuse fitted but the highest rated flex switch I can find is 5 amp. Would this do the job or not please as usually these are associated with table lamps etc.

Many thanks in advance.

Yashin.

singer
Ganger
Ganger

by singer » Sat Jan 10, 2009 8:10 pm

I think you know what I'm about to say as 13 is greater than 5.
The 13amp load of the fryer would overload the 5amp switch so would not be suitable.
Why not use a piece of suitably sized flex with a plugtop on one end and a switched 13amp socket on the other then simply mount the socket in an accessible position and plug it into one of your unaccessible sockets.
Then you have a handy socket with a switch for your fryer - job done.

sparx
Project Manager
Project Manager

by sparx » Sat Jan 10, 2009 8:38 pm

As you suppose, 5A is the largest normal inline switch unless you go for an inline RCD type intended to go inline with lawnmowers etc. not pretty with on off buttons but could go just inside cupboard maybe?
regards,
sparx

3 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Sun Oct 06, 2024 4:24 pm