Damp under the staircase
Damp can be a major issue in the home. Find answers to questions or post your own here.

4 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
marcbriston
Labourer
Labourer

Damp under the staircase

by marcbriston » Sat Jan 24, 2009 6:05 pm

Hi every one this is my first post, my partner and I recently bought our first home which is a 1950's mid terrace, whilst having the electrics replaced downstairs the electrician informed me of some damp on the party wall under the stair case, so once he had left I went to investigate what could be causing the dampness. The floor is concrete and I noticed a hump just under the stairs and it was cracked all the way to the wall, so i removed the concrete to then find brick work underneath, I later found that the area where the damp is used to be a pantry there is no DPC that I can see where the brick has been covered with concrete and there is a visible damp patch where the concrete has been removed. would injecting some damp proofing into the wall and removing all the concrete in the area and relaying with a damp proof membrane underneath resolve my problem?

many thanks

Marc

marcbriston
Labourer
Labourer

by marcbriston » Sat Jan 24, 2009 7:03 pm

just to add i have just removed the skirting board and found that the wall has had some damp proof injected into every brick twice but the damp is higher than that and also the skirting board was soaking wet!!

Inform Timber and Damp
Apprentice
Apprentice

by Inform Timber and Damp » Sun Jan 25, 2009 1:15 pm

Damp in an understairs cupboard is relatively common often caused or increased by restricted ventilation. I assume all floors are concrete? If damp is coming up through floor installing an injected dpc wont be affective, would need to excavate the area of floor and reform using a dpm (Membrane) This could be quite diff due to access and you would need to overlap sound areas of flooring. A cemetious type may be easier like Vandex BB75- hope this gives you some ideas

TheDoctor5

by TheDoctor5 » Fri Jan 30, 2009 10:20 am

If you type the key words of your question into our search box to the left of the site you may find the answer is already posted or is in the DIY projects section of the website. Every post goes through a monitoring process and using the search box may speed up your answer.

4 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Sat Sep 14, 2024 10:47 pm