problem with kitchen light- won't switch off
Ask questions and find answers to many subjects relating to electrics and electrical work

4 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
cheffei
Labourer
Labourer

problem with kitchen light- won't switch off

by cheffei » Wed Feb 25, 2009 4:16 pm

Can any one help???

i have removed a kitchen strip light and replaced with a strip of spot lights

there are two cables each has a red, black & earth wire ( when i removed the old light the 2 red wires were twisted together as were the earth wires.)

i have tried every combination of wires and when i do get it to work, the switch does not turn the light off.

please help as i am going mad!!!

cheers :?

moggy1968
Ganger
Ganger

by moggy1968 » Wed Feb 25, 2009 7:28 pm

do you normally have 2 switches in different positions or one to operate your kitchen light? i.e is it 1 way or 2 way lighting?

cheffei
Labourer
Labourer

by cheffei » Thu Feb 26, 2009 8:26 pm

thanks for your reply but I have sorted the problem - the second wire went to the switch. :D cheers

kbrownie
Project Manager
Project Manager

by kbrownie » Thu Feb 26, 2009 9:27 pm

Hi cheffi,
1) terminate your two reds together with nothing else, one is your live supply from another fitting or cu, the other goes to the switch. Joining the two will supply power to switch
2) Your two blacks one is the neutral and the other is supplying a live via the switch this should have sleeving on or tag
3) Black with sleeving (switch wire) to brown flex side of light fitting, neutral black to blue flex side of light fitting (this configuration is especailly important with eddison screw lamps)
4) circuit protective conductors (aka earths, but this term is not true ) connected together and terminated to lamp earth terminal if ther is one especailly if metal fitting.
and let there be light
Kind regards stay safe and isolate prior to carrying this out.
KB

4 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Sat Sep 28, 2024 2:32 pm