Access to a under-counter washing machine
Help, advice and problem solutions on all aspects of home appliances from washing machines to TV's

6 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
Dadwood
Ganger
Ganger

Access to a under-counter washing machine

by Dadwood » Fri Apr 24, 2009 1:58 pm

My kitchen is being refurbished at present. The washing machine is freestanding and will be pushed under a worktop in between a freestanding gas cooker and the sink unit. Once the installation is complete, I reckon it will be quite difficult to get access to the machine when it needs attention. The only way I can see of getting it out is to somehow pull it from the front. I did think about perhaps sitting it on low rollers with wheels that can be locked, but the movement caused when the machine is on spin with an uneven washing load might make everything shake about. Does anyone have any suggestions? I can remove the gas cooker but that would give no more access because there is a full width board between the cooker and washing machine which supports the fixed worktop.

stoneyboy
Project Manager
Project Manager

by stoneyboy » Fri Apr 24, 2009 10:51 pm

Dadwood,
Ensure that the flooring is carried under the WM to give a smooth surface and that the hoses are long enough to pull the WM out - a hand in the door opening is normally sufficient.
end

Dadwood
Ganger
Ganger

by Dadwood » Sat Apr 25, 2009 7:38 pm

Thank you for that, stoneyboy. I was just a little concerned that if I put a hand in the door opening and pull too hard on the side of the drum, I might cause some damage.

Dadwood
Ganger
Ganger

by Dadwood » Fri May 01, 2009 10:42 am

The amount of effort needed just to pull the machine out a little way was immense. So when I eventually got it right out and disconnected, I tilted it over and had a look underneath. There are two rollers fitted at the back of the machine but neither was in contact with the floor! The back of the machine was sitting on its metal base. I removed the roller assemblies and found they'd been put in wrongly in the first place. This must have occurred during assembly of the machine at the factory. How can this happen I ask myself?? Anyway, it was simple to reinstall the rollers, this time BENEATH the support frame, and now the machine can be moved much, much easier. Hoorah.

stoneyboy
Project Manager
Project Manager

by stoneyboy » Sun May 03, 2009 6:12 pm

Dadwood,
Thanks for the update, all we need is the make of the machine - I have met this before on a John Lewis machine.
end

bd3cc
Foreman
Foreman

by bd3cc » Sun May 03, 2009 10:32 pm

Could be that there's a lever for raising/lowering the wheels

6 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Tue Jul 02, 2024 12:44 pm