Garage - Asbestos cement removal
Information, tips and advice on various items of work wear, safety clothing and footwear

8 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
2scoops
Labourer
Labourer

Garage - Asbestos cement removal

by 2scoops » Sun May 03, 2009 12:46 pm

I am going to remove my asbestos cement garage roof and will be following the local authorities guide lines. Just a quick point they state a P3 face mask should be used, i have a P1 mask already- am i ok to proceede with this type of mask.

Thanks

Perry525
Site Agent
Site Agent

by Perry525 » Sat May 09, 2009 5:00 pm

There are tens of thousands of garages made of white asbestos in the UK.
And there is a lot of confusion and misunderstanding regarding white asbestos. White asbestos is not dangerous. Blue asbestos used for insulation of hot industrial pipes is very dangerous. Unfortunately most people seem to talk and write of "asbestos" as if it is all the same.
Perhaps its because a lot of people are making lots of money removing and disposing of it. Look it up!

bd3cc
Foreman
Foreman

by bd3cc » Mon May 11, 2009 1:36 am

If you are following the LA guidelines, and they suggest a P3 mask,why not follow that also?

UES asbestos
Labourer
Labourer

by UES asbestos » Fri Sep 04, 2009 11:25 am

how perry525 can suggest that white asbestos is not dangerous is not only wrong but a little stupid to give incorrect info regarding such a dangerous material. White asbestos is not only found in materials such as shed roofs (asbestos cement) but very commonly in pipe insulation and insulation boards. The dangers of asbestos are determined by the matrix of the material and not the asbestos type. Yes the body can expell a certain amount of chrysotile (white) fibres however it is still very dangerous. Asbestos cement also on many occasions will contain blue asbestos as most asbestos containing materials have a mixture of serpantine & amphibole fibres. Always use the correct respiratory epuipment, dont risk your health over a few quid

RobbygG
Labourer
Labourer

by RobbygG » Wed Dec 09, 2009 12:11 pm

[quote="Perry525"]There are tens of thousands of garages made of white asbestos in the UK.
And there is a lot of confusion and misunderstanding regarding white asbestos. White asbestos is not dangerous. Blue asbestos used for insulation of hot industrial pipes is very dangerous. Unfortunately most people seem to talk and write of "asbestos" as if it is all the same.
Perhaps its because a lot of people are making lots of money removing and disposing of it. Look it up![/quote]

I never knew that there was different types, thanks for that. I paid a firm £1400 to remove an out building from my property purley because it was asbestos, I have always been worried about the dangers so would not take on a job like that myself. as regarding the masks I would wear the correct one if I had to do it. Dont take no chances thats what I say

stairpak
Labourer
Labourer

by stairpak » Wed Mar 03, 2010 9:18 am

Actually, there are tens of thousands of garages made of white asbestos in the UK.

freedy
Labourer
Labourer

by freedy » Thu May 20, 2010 4:14 pm

I have one of these garage roofs which I believe could be about 40 years old & various parts of it leak when it rains. I have sprayed some of the leaking parts inside with some sort of bitumen spray I got from Wickes which hasnt been too bad, but what I want is someone to coat the whole top of it with bitumen which I believe could seal it. However, it seems very hard to get any roofers to do it. Surely its not dangerous for them to crawl around on it to do that?

TheDoctor4
Project Manager
Project Manager

help at hand

by TheDoctor4 » Tue Jul 20, 2010 9:32 pm

For up to 5 FREE quotes from trusted, vetted and insured tradesmen in your area visit the DIY Doctor Find a Tradesman page: https://www.diydoctor.org.uk/find_tradesmen/

8 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Tue Jul 02, 2024 8:09 am