2way light switch
Ask questions and find answers to many subjects relating to electrics and electrical work

4 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
GRAY28
Labourer
Labourer

2way light switch

by GRAY28 » Sat Jun 06, 2009 11:55 pm

Ive just moved and changed my 2way light switch in my frontroom, Beforehand one switch turned the frontroom light on and the other the backroom, Problem is that ive had to lengthen the cable via the original junction box, i did everything the same as before, now the backroom switch works fine but when i turn the mains back on, the frontroom light is automatically on and when i turn it off it blows a fuse. the switch has 3 terminals each side marked (Backroom switch L1 blue, com red and L2 yellow.which all works fine!) the other cable which ive replaced is red, black and earth and even when swapped around on the switch it still blows, anyone any ideas ?

BLAKEY1963
Site Agent
Site Agent

Re: 2way light switch

by BLAKEY1963 » Sun Jun 07, 2009 11:47 am

[quote="GRAY28"]Ive just moved and changed my 2way light switch in my frontroom, Beforehand one switch turned the frontroom light on and the other the backroom, Problem is that ive had to lengthen the cable via the original junction box, i did everything the same as before, now the backroom switch works fine but when i turn the mains back on, the frontroom light is automatically on and when i turn it off it blows a fuse. the switch has 3 terminals each side marked (Backroom switch L1 blue, com red and L2 yellow.which all works fine!) the other cable which ive replaced is red, black and earth and even when swapped around on the switch it still blows, anyone any ideas ?[/quote]

GRAY28
If u havent got a neutral at the switch , then when u turn off sw and bring in L2 , as i have seen many times before , have u connected the
earth wire into L2 ? . I also suggest u get in an electrcian.

BLAKEY1963

kbrownie
Project Manager
Project Manager

by kbrownie » Mon Jun 08, 2009 11:09 pm

GRAY28
Earth to earth terminal on switch or to metal back box if switch plate is plastic.
Red = com
Black = L1
your other swicth that you say is working correctly
would normally be
Yellow = com
Red = L1
Blue = L2
but it may not have been done that way originally as the electrician that installed it, may have configured it differently.
KB

moggy1968
Ganger
Ganger

by moggy1968 » Tue Jun 16, 2009 10:18 pm

It sounds to me like you have got 2 way and 2 gang mixed up. this system sounds like a simple 2 gang, no 2 way, system

4 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Sun Jun 30, 2024 2:23 pm