Live and neutral not marked on light fitting
Ask questions and find answers to many subjects relating to electrics and electrical work

3 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
ttony2
Labourer
Labourer

Live and neutral not marked on light fitting

by ttony2 » Tue Jul 07, 2009 12:25 pm

Hi bought a light fitting to change bathroom light that failed. The instructions state that live should be connected to block marked 'L' and the same with the neutral but these are not marked on the fitting. The earth is marked. How do I work out which is which. Does it matter if I wire them the wrong way round? I usually do small electrical wiring jobs like changing switches and fittings but dont know what to do with this. Appreciate any help.
Thanks
Tony

summit elec
Apprentice
Apprentice

by summit elec » Tue Jul 07, 2009 9:15 pm

if polarity is incorrect the light will work but may be unsafe so be carefull. polarity isnt genrally important for fittings with screw in bulbs (E14 & E27) if you have a multimeter you could take a continuity reading from the centre of the lamp holder to each terminal and when it beeps thats your live. let us know what type of fitting it is though.

kbrownie
Project Manager
Project Manager

by kbrownie » Tue Jul 07, 2009 9:21 pm

it could, what type of fitting is it, is it connected to a transformer, does it have a ceiling rose loop in connection or just three single terminals to connect up earth, brown and blue flex?
What cables are coming from ceiling void?
Answers these then likely to be able to help
KB

3 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Thu Jul 04, 2024 1:49 pm