certificate of compliance?
Ask questions and find answers to many subjects relating to electrics and electrical work

5 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
pe+e
Apprentice
Apprentice

certificate of compliance?

by pe+e » Thu Aug 13, 2009 11:19 pm

if i've done my own electrical work (replaced all the plaster in the kitchen, thus replaced all the sockets and old cabling at the same time) do i need a 'certificate of compliance?' Is this what it is called? Or what do i ask my electrician (who is installing the new consumer unit) for? presumably he'll have to carry out visual and physical checks to make sure that everything i've done is in order.

thanks

kbrownie
Project Manager
Project Manager

by kbrownie » Fri Aug 14, 2009 12:48 pm

pe+e
If you had done the installation in the Kitchen and you are not registered with a domestic installer scheme ( google competent persons scheme)
You would need to notify building controls prior to starting work https://www.diydoctor.org.uk/projects/partp.htm
After an application has been made and fee paid, you will be given the go ahead to start the work.
Building controls will then inspect at first fix, cable sizes, routing of cable, support, fixings etc..
Then if that is okay you will then be allowed to continue to the next stage, second fix.
Before the installation is energized building controls will then inspect and test this installation, if that complies to the relevant standards it will then be signed off and certificates will be issued at a later date.
This is a legal requirement, your installation must compy to relevant standards or it will not be signed off. If this is not done it is likely you have broke the law and your house insurance will also be invalid.
You'll find electricians are unwilling to sign other peoples work off as they yhen take on responsibility for that installation.

If a registered electrician had done the installation in the kitchen, they can then self-cert it with a EIC (electrical installation certificate) they will then inform his scheme provider of the work and they will forward that to building controls.
An registered electricain can again install a new CU, issuing a EIC but any deviation from BS7671:2008 will be made on his report, they do not have to pass off, the work in the kitchen. This report again goes to scheme provider, then Building Controls.
Hope this helps
KB

pe+e
Apprentice
Apprentice

by pe+e » Fri Aug 14, 2009 3:11 pm

I phoned the council today and they said I'd need to fill in a Building Notice Application. then someone would come and check my work after i've got the cables in and then come back again and check it when i've put all the fittings on and give me soe form of documentation to say it was all good. And i'd pay a fee of £115.

Does this all sound about right?

kbrownie
Project Manager
Project Manager

by kbrownie » Fri Aug 14, 2009 5:05 pm

That's how it's done.
Fee will be £115 + VAT
KB

moggy1968
Ganger
Ganger

by moggy1968 » Fri Aug 14, 2009 7:19 pm

sounds like they are being generous, as this should have been done before you started!

5 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Sun Jun 23, 2024 8:30 pm