Adding a Spur to a Spur - Can it be done (Please say yes!!)
Ask questions and find answers to many subjects relating to electrics and electrical work

2 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
Ian Macdonald
Labourer
Labourer

Adding a Spur to a Spur - Can it be done (Please say yes!!)

by Ian Macdonald » Tue Aug 18, 2009 9:53 am

Guys - I've checked the projects pages and whilst there is an ifference to what I am wanting to know - it is not definate - hence the new post....

The Wife wants a double plug on a wall. There are no local plugs on this wall - the next room along is a bathroom. I don't really want to put a junction box in the ring main in the upstairs cavity as it is going to be difficult to find and I don't want to chase up the wall - you can never get it back to it's former glory.

There is a plug on the other side of the opposite wall. This Plug is a spur - IT would make my life easy if I could punch through the back of the existing box - down into the screed (cable in conduit) along the floor and up a foot to the potential new plug....

Question is - Can I do this..

Plea Please Please say yes...

and if I can't do it - whats the worst that could happen?

Thanks

Ian

moggy1968
Ganger
Ganger

by moggy1968 » Tue Aug 18, 2009 10:07 pm

A junction box in the wall is illegal as it is non maintainable. to run in the screed the cable should be in eartherd metal conduit and if you want to spur off a spur then it must run through a fused spur. If your socket circuit is not already RCD protected then this spur must be an RCD one at the point of origin of the new cabling if that is to be burried, or in any case before the new socket. You should also be aware of the requirement to run your cables in 'safe zones'. You don't say where this cabling and socket are to be but you should also aquaint yourself with part p which may or may not apply to this work.

The worst that can happen if this work is done incorrectly is your house could burn down and kill your familly!! (not being overdramatic about it)
alternatively the worse that could happen is that by not laying your cables in safe zones or adequately protected someone could accidently chop into them and kill themselves. Additionally you could invalidate your house insurance should any of the above occur to a greater or lesser degree. Alternaively if the circuit is not adquately RCD protected a child could stick an object in the plug (as they are prone to doing) and kill themselves

Thats why my liability insurance costs several hundered pounds a year, because this electrickery stuff is dangerous!

2 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Sun Jun 23, 2024 8:17 pm