Kitchen Light Earth Problem....
Ask questions and find answers to many subjects relating to electrics and electrical work

4 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
am74
Labourer
Labourer

Kitchen Light Earth Problem....

by am74 » Wed Nov 04, 2009 8:43 pm

Hi,

I realise this may be a stupid question, so forgive my ignorance!

I need to fit a new spotlight fitting in my kitchen...the current fitting trips the system every time it's switched on.

For ease of fitting I have chosen the same style as the current fitting, but have noticed the wiring for the new fitting has only space for the Neutral and Live wires on the terminal box with it being a double insulated fitting.

The old fitting is wired with Live, Neutral and Earth so what do I do with the earth wire to keep the fitting safe?

I hope someone can help, thanks in advance..

BLAKEY1963
Site Agent
Site Agent

by BLAKEY1963 » Thu Nov 05, 2009 3:37 pm

AM74
PUT the earthh cores into a separate terminal block.
The fitting does not require to be earthed.
Assuming by your info that it is double insulated and has
a box within a box symbol .
BLAKEY1963

moggy1968
Ganger
Ganger

by moggy1968 » Sat Nov 07, 2009 7:36 pm

don't forget to put earth sleeving pn the old earth before you 'park' it in the fitting. don't be tempted to cut it off, it'll really mess someone up later if they want to fit a metal fitting (and it's against the regs!!)

marconii
Apprentice
Apprentice

Re: Kitchen Light Earth Problem....

by marconii » Sun Nov 29, 2009 9:01 pm

[quote="am74"]Hi,

I realise this may be a stupid question, so forgive my ignorance!

I need to fit a new spotlight fitting in my kitchen...the current fitting trips the system every time it's switched on.

For ease of fitting I have chosen the same style as the current fitting, but have noticed the wiring for the new fitting has only space for the Neutral and Live wires on the terminal box with it being a double insulated fitting.

The old fitting is wired with Live, Neutral and Earth so what do I do with the earth wire to keep the fitting safe?

I hope someone can help, thanks in advance..

Back to top[/quote] hi......sleeve the earth and block it!........dont cut it....

it will trip over again if in contact with fitting/other wires....hope this helps..

4 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Mon Jun 24, 2024 1:44 pm