Telephone wiring
Ask questions and find answers to many subjects relating to electrics and electrical work

4 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
JennyBell
Labourer
Labourer

Telephone wiring

by JennyBell » Sun Nov 15, 2009 6:33 pm

Hi all,

I have an fairly old telephone junction box inside my house (which the cable from outside leads in to) There is a problem with a connection within the box, probably a broken wire/loose connection I think (I have checked obvious connections). When I move the wires in a certain direction I get a connection but not if I move them in the 'wrong' direction I'm pretty sure I have tracked down the problem to three orange wires that go into a small clear plastic junction box which is shaped like a rectangle with a circle in it. I can't get into this junction box without breaking it and so want to buy another one so I can go in and check the wires and then put them back in a junction box. I don't know what this type of junction box is called, can anyone tell me and also where I can buy one? Also if the problem turns out to be a broken wire what is the best way to go about fixing this?

Any help very gratefully received.

Jenny

acsimpson
Foreman
Foreman

by acsimpson » Mon Nov 16, 2009 10:02 am

I believe that if the problem is before the telephone companies master box then it is their responsibility. If it is altered in anyway however they may charge to rectify it. Before you go any further it may be worth your time to report the fault to the telephone company and wait for them to come and fix it.

JennyBell
Labourer
Labourer

by JennyBell » Tue Nov 17, 2009 9:30 pm

My problem is after the telephone company main box.

Neil54
Apprentice
Apprentice

by Neil54 » Sun Dec 06, 2009 9:34 pm

What you descibe sounds like crimped connections. Are there three clear plastic squares with a circle on them.

Guessing these are already housed in some sort of box to hide the crimps, I would replace the crimps with screw terminals.

If the box is subject to damp / condensation like on a door frame, then covering with vaseline or silicon grease after making the connections would be a good idea.

You could try asking a passing BT man to have a look.

Cup of tea works wonders with engineers.

4 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Sun Jun 30, 2024 7:50 pm