shrinking joints on paper
General decorating topics, questions and answers. find help, tips and advice on completing your decorating projects

8 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
mitch 01
Apprentice
Apprentice

shrinking joints on paper

by mitch 01 » Wed Feb 17, 2010 7:06 pm

hi guys ive just hung a finished paper on top of a lining paper and the seams have shrunk and opened up. Ive used a quality paper and a cheap paper. This is not the first time this is happened, im not overly keen on papering on top of lining paper because of this reason, where am i going wrong? any advice would be appreciated thanks

theshedman
Foreman
Foreman

by theshedman » Thu Feb 18, 2010 8:33 am

Hi mitch, how did you hang the lining paper. From the way you have said it sounds like you hung the lining paper the same way as the finish paper vertically. If this is the case it is probably because the joins line up which often causes the joins to open up. If it is this then try hanging the lining paper horizontally, quite easy to do. Then when you come to hang the finish paper none of the joins will line up.

mitch 01
Apprentice
Apprentice

shrinking joints

by mitch 01 » Thu Feb 18, 2010 5:46 pm

thanks for your reply theshedman no i hung the lining paper horizontaly its not the first time this has happened its so annoying i have no problem slinging paper on plastered walls but on lining paper the joints shrink one or two mil maybe im being over critical because you will always see the butt if you know where to look but it always appears more visible on lining paper perhaps a selection of crayons would come in handy in future any thoughts? thanks

theshedman
Foreman
Foreman

by theshedman » Fri Feb 19, 2010 10:05 am

Hi mitch, there are a couple of reasons it could be. You could try putting more paste on the paper especially the edges of the paper as they could be drying out too fast which can cause it to pull away at the edges. Are you sizing the lining paper as this can cause the paper to stay wet for too long in some cases which can cause shrinkage or bubbles. Lining paper doesn't usually need sizing. You say about using crayons. Are you using a very dark paper over the lining paper because if this is the case sometimes it can be an advantage to give the walls a quick coat of a colour close to the one of the paper first.

mitch 01
Apprentice
Apprentice

shrinking joints

by mitch 01 » Fri Feb 19, 2010 5:37 pm

hi theshedman thanks for the advice on painting the lining paper prior to papering with a dark paper ill keep that in mind just an after thought the room temperature was quite high but i initially thought that would only affect the paper where the radiators are not the remainder of the room perhaps that may be the reason as i didnt turn the radiators off immidiately. Whats your thoughts on using ready mixed adhesive on all wallcoverings regardless of manufacturers specifications, a waste of money perhaps or a better finish thanks again

theshedman
Foreman
Foreman

by theshedman » Sat Feb 20, 2010 2:21 pm

Hi mitch, the temperature could be the cause as the paper may be drying too fast especially the edges. Ready mixed paste not always ok as it's quite thick and can be hard to apply to some papers. Best to stick to the manufacturers recommendations most of the time.

mitch 01
Apprentice
Apprentice

by mitch 01 » Sun Feb 21, 2010 11:20 am

thanks theshedman for your advice appreciated

chris_on_tour2002
Project Manager
Project Manager

by chris_on_tour2002 » Mon Feb 22, 2010 11:49 pm

a common problem when papering over lining paper.

one plausible explanation is that the lining paper will differ in absorbency and the amount that it expands when wet wiht adhesive compared to the decorative layer, which will often have a vinyl or some other finish that affect the amount it will expand.

the lining paper will absorb a lot of the moisture and become wet once more, causing expansion and contraction again as it dries. the difference in expansion and contraction of the two layers leads to the opening of the joints.

certainly ambient temperatures and humidity levels will have a bearing on this. shedman's suggestion of painting the lining paper first with a similar colour is a very workable one and one which i've used myself - in fact i've done it on newly plastered walls as well for the same reason.

it has the double effect of helping to seal the lining paper making it less absorbent and helping to alleviate the problem.

8 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Sun Jun 30, 2024 10:50 am