Gloss Paint - watery??
General decorating topics, questions and answers. find help, tips and advice on completing your decorating projects

3 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
Prisca
Labourer
Labourer

Gloss Paint - watery??

by Prisca » Fri Jul 23, 2010 9:06 pm

I've done lots of decorating before and used gloss many times but NEVER like this.

My husband purchased a can of Dulux Tailor Made gloss. I tried to use it tonight but it was too runny - it was like painting water onto plastic; it kept separating and going on too thin.

The gloss I am used to is sticky and thick and goes on smoothly.

DH had little confidence in the guy who'd mixed the tin - apparently he didn't seem to know what he was doing, so we took the tin back to the shop. They said regulations against fumes mean that gloss is now a different consistency.

DH bought a different brand of paint because we wanted to get the job done tonight. Brought it home; started to apply it - same problem. Too runny - it's not even forming a coat.

Are we doing something wrong? I can't find anything anywhere on how to use this new type of paint. Has anyone else experienced these problems?

Is it possible to get hold of the old-style gloss?

stoneyboy
Project Manager
Project Manager

by stoneyboy » Sun Jul 25, 2010 10:22 pm

Prisca,
You're probably being sold water based paint - see if you can find some solvent based stuff, it will say high in VOCs on the tin.
end

JRS
Ganger
Ganger

by JRS » Tue Jul 27, 2010 8:34 pm

Even water based paint is thick. It should be runny. You are only supposed to use a very little amount of gloss. If you are no good at glossing get the 1 coat stuff which is more like jelly.

3 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Sat Sep 28, 2024 11:05 pm