Plaster flaking when base coat applied
General decorating topics, questions and answers. find help, tips and advice on completing your decorating projects

3 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
Helen4373
Labourer
Labourer

Plaster flaking when base coat applied

by Helen4373 » Sun Aug 01, 2010 5:03 pm

Hi,

Hope there is someone that can offer me some advice. I've recently had a bathroom fitted and some replastering of the ceiling was needed. I've started painting today(roughly 6 weeks after the plastering was done) and, after applying a base coat, some of the plaster has bubbled and started to flake off.

I'm assuming I just need to sand down and start again but I'd appreciate any advice so that it doesn't happen again or get any worse!!

Many thanks

theshedman
Foreman
Foreman

by theshedman » Thu Aug 05, 2010 8:16 am

Hi Helen, are you sure it's the plaster and not the emulsion that you have put on that is bubbling and flaking?

Jimbo36
Labourer
Labourer

by Jimbo36 » Sun Aug 08, 2010 9:14 pm

theshedman wrote:Hi Helen, are you sure it's the plaster and not the emulsion that you have put on that is bubbling and flaking?

Hi Helen,
It will be the paint that is flaking not the plaster as you haven't sealed the plaster first.
New plaster will absorb the water from the paint too quickly causing the paint to flake.
What you need to do is make good the peeling / flaking by sanding down to bare plaster again.
Then seal the plaster by using something like Unibond Plaster Sealant, following instructions, or watered down Emulsion.
Once sealed you can repaint again using a Bathroom and Kitchen Emulsion of your choice.
Hope that helps
Jimbo

3 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Sun Jun 30, 2024 11:42 am