Which combi boiler - Vaillant, Worcester or British Gas?
Information, help and advice on many gas related subjects from gas fires to domestic appliances

11 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
SpiceBoy
Labourer
Labourer

Which combi boiler - Vaillant, Worcester or British Gas?

by SpiceBoy » Sun Aug 01, 2010 9:43 pm

Help - I need a new combi boiler and have a few quotes to choose from. They are all within £250 of each other but I need to choose which boiler to go for.

I had narrowed it down to the Vaillant EcoTec Pro 28kW or the Worcester Bosch Greenstar 28i. Out of the blue, British Gas have come up with a very competitive quote for their "British Gas 532 High Efficiency Boiler" which is a apparently a re-specced Worcester Bosch. It has a higher flow rate of 13 l/min (versus 11 l/min) and a separate control that allows you to adjust the water temperature (e.g. to limit the hot water temp if your kids are having a shower). Not surprisingly, it's the most expensive quote but I'm trying to figure out if it's worth the extra £200 odd. Any help/suggestions much appreciated...

Cheers,

Robin

htg engineer
Project Manager
Project Manager

by htg engineer » Mon Aug 02, 2010 7:23 pm

Vaillant are very good - so if the BG boiler is more expensive then it's definitely not worth it, neither is BG installation prices or their Homecare packages.

Vaillant and Worcester are very good. I'd go for the Vaillant.

htg

SpiceBoy
Labourer
Labourer

by SpiceBoy » Mon Aug 02, 2010 7:31 pm

[quote="htg engineer"]Vaillant are very good - so if the BG boiler is more expensive then it's definitely not worth it, neither is BG installation prices or their Homecare packages.

htg[/quote]

Vaillant and Worcester were the two on my original list. I know BG boilers used to be bad (was it Glow Worm they used to rebadge?) but their new range is made by Worcester for them and has a higher spec than the other two. The Vaillant is about £50 cheaper than the Worcester so I think I'll take your advice.

Thanks for the reply!

Robin

wallflower
Labourer
Labourer

by wallflower » Sun Aug 08, 2010 12:20 pm

I am believe glow worm is a subsidery company of Valiant.

Both GW and Valiant combi's boast Stainless Steel heat exhanges with a 25 year gaurantee.

I have a worscestor bosch currenty but will now upgrade to a glowworm due to the heat exchanger.

Thanks

wallflower
Labourer
Labourer

by wallflower » Sun Aug 08, 2010 12:29 pm

I beleive Glow worm is a subisdery of valiant which explains why they both boast a 25 year gaurantee on thier heat exchangers.

I have worscestor at the moment but am changing to GW due to the heat exchanger.

Hope this helps

Andil
Labourer
Labourer

by Andil » Tue Sep 07, 2010 3:13 pm

Had you tried Alpha Innovation boilers? Probably more efficient and more affordable in the long run, would think it's worth a look.

Gas_man
Apprentice
Apprentice

by Gas_man » Thu Mar 10, 2011 6:11 pm

I know this is dead, and bringing up old posts is bad form, but I couldnt resist!!!!

UPGRADE to a glowworm???!!!! Are you mad????!!!!!!??!?!!? Vaillent and worc are top of the line!!!

And alpha.....................

dear god, I couldnt help my self...

/rant

thedoctor

Re: Which combi boiler - Vaillant, Worcester or British Gas?

by thedoctor » Sat Jul 06, 2013 10:15 am

Very old post but a very popular page on the website, still! If anyone needs up-to-date central heating help, click on the link https://www.diydoctor.org.uk/alphasearch/C.htm

dreamchild
Labourer
Labourer

by dreamchild » Tue Jan 14, 2014 9:57 am

Vaillant are a German company and engineer boilers which are produced in several other Europen countries. The brand name widely used in the UK is Glow Worm.

What I am saying is that Vaillant own Glow worm and therefore design and engineer boilers to be made in the UK.

mraich
Ganger
Ganger

Combi Boilers

by mraich » Thu Oct 30, 2014 12:01 am

[quote="htg engineer"]Vaillant are very good - so if the BG boiler is more expensive then it's definitely not worth it, neither is BG installation prices or their Homecare packages.

htg[/quote]Could anyone tell me what installation charge I should expect to replace a Baxi 105HE with a Worcester 30SDi and is the 30SDi more than I need for a 3 BR semi with good sized kitchen?
Thank you.
Mr Aitch

PaulWhite14
Labourer
Labourer

by PaulWhite14 » Thu Nov 13, 2014 1:54 pm

Hmmm choices, choices vs prices, prices ! I know BG would charge a lot given a chance, but I've found that I got a decent price of stl heating for a new boiler supplied and fitted too. I've got their number somewhere - yeah its 0800 0086 999. Don't get stung with BG lad!

11 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Sun Jun 23, 2024 3:12 am