painting over raw MDF that is marked & stained...
General decorating topics, questions and answers. find help, tips and advice on completing your decorating projects

2 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
Astra
Labourer
Labourer

painting over raw MDF that is marked & stained...

by Astra » Sat Sep 11, 2010 2:00 pm

We have had some pantry doors made up using MDF. We installed them onto the pantry to check they were all okay and unfortunately they have never come down again to be painted. My dilemma now is that there is now marks on the MDF where the handles are from dirty hands etc opening and closing the doors. what do I need to do to prep the surface to be painted??
Will a primer stick to the surface properly were the staining is? I can't wipe this staining off, it has been absorbed into the surface. If I give the surface a light sand and then prime it will it be enough or will it bubble due to what has been absorbed into the mdf..??? Hope I have been clear enough, really need some help here please. :(

JRS
Ganger
Ganger

by JRS » Tue Sep 14, 2010 6:45 pm

Never seen an mdf door ever. Ply maybe. If its getting painted just give it a sand and prime undercoat gloss. If varnishing, Wet n dry sand paper some steel wool and a couple coats of stain.

2 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Sat Sep 28, 2024 11:08 pm