Painting ceramic tiles
General decorating topics, questions and answers. find help, tips and advice on completing your decorating projects

3 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
Marty Boy
Labourer
Labourer

Painting ceramic tiles

by Marty Boy » Sun Oct 03, 2010 7:09 pm

Hi, I want to paint the tiles in my kitchen and I've read loads of articles on the web about what I need to do (e.g. clean the tiles thoroughly, sand, prime and then paint). A lot of the articles also mentioned applying a coat of urethane/polyurethane at the end to protect it. I've searched on various DIY stores' websites and can't find urethane/polyurethane anywhere. Does anyone know where I can get this and a brand I should be using? The products I've found on the web seem to be from American stores (e.g. Minwax). Thanks.

theshedman
Foreman
Foreman

by theshedman » Mon Oct 04, 2010 3:13 pm

Hi, International Paints do a tile paint for kitchen tiles. I would say though that any paint you put on them will mark very easily as tiles are not really made to be painted over. Not something I would do myself especially in the kitchen where they will need to be cleaned regularly. Make sure that they are very clean before painting as any grease on them will make them look terrible. Also use a good quality paint brush as any lines will show up clearly on a flat surface. The Polyurethane that you mention will be a coat of clear varnish put on top of the paint.

Marty Boy
Labourer
Labourer

by Marty Boy » Sat Oct 09, 2010 12:20 am

Thanks!

3 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Sun Jun 30, 2024 11:39 am