New Build Sealing windows
All manner of questions and solutions to problems and issues surrounding the subject of brickwork, blockwork and stonework

5 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
Boothy
Apprentice
Apprentice

New Build Sealing windows

by Boothy » Tue Mar 08, 2011 12:46 pm

Hi

I have recently built a new house, it is constructed of blockwork inner skin, surecav, 50mm celotex and an outer 6inch stone wall. I have had new oak windows fitted but there are gaps where the windows meet the stone/brick. As I have brick and stone reveals it may fit fine where the brick meets the window but where the stone does there can be quite big gaps. I have not yet cut the verticle DPC from around the out side edge of the window. I have seen many forums on expanding foam, lime putty and cement but does anyone know the best way to fill the gaps. If I use foam then it look crap against the nice new brick and stone work, if I use cement, it may crack. I cant use a wooden trim as the wall obviously has lumps and bumps from the stone. If cement is the key, what mix and shall I use one of those cement guns to get the mortar right in there??

Please help

welsh brickie
Project Manager
Project Manager

fitting windows

by welsh brickie » Tue Mar 08, 2011 4:37 pm

use expanding foam and then cut it back flush with the frame then you need to fit oak beading to the window frame,scribe the bead around the stonework for a tight fit

Boothy
Apprentice
Apprentice

by Boothy » Wed Mar 09, 2011 3:16 pm

Thanks Welsh brickie,

Is this the done thing then? I thought foam but did not want to spoil the look of the nice new windows and stone work. I never understand why then they built the wall they did not make a better edge for the window to sit in. Everyone I ask says different things, i.e cement fillet, but around a door etc one would assume it would crack.

1 suggestion was to use foam then use a plaster bead then render the bead, is this any good?.

Also the window does not sit on the sill, so I will have to create a run-off beading in oak to stop water running inside. thank god it has not leaked so far as they are and its been raining for ages. The windows are set back a tad.

welsh brickie
Project Manager
Project Manager

window fitting

by welsh brickie » Wed Mar 09, 2011 8:14 pm

you can never get a tight fit when fitting windows to stonework,thats why you need a bead fitted to scribe around the stonework.Rendering will crack,and look unsightly its not the best method.

Boothy
Apprentice
Apprentice

by Boothy » Thu Mar 10, 2011 1:53 pm

Thanks

5 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Tue Jul 02, 2024 7:13 pm