Rain water leak around a uPVC window
Post questions and find answers on glazing, double glazing, upvc glazing, conservatory glazing, fixtures and fittings etc....

4 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
doug
Labourer
Labourer

Rain water leak around a uPVC window

by doug » Wed Jun 20, 2007 9:20 am

Hi,

I've got a uPVC window that is leaking around the frame when it rains. One bottom corner gets damp whenever it rains. We've just had the room interior gutted and replastered, so I've just noticed this. I checked the exterior silicon seal right up the side, the top & bottom of the window. It was in a poor condition so I replaced it all. I am confident that it is now water tight. The damp patch dried up (once it stopped raining!), and all looked OK ... until it rained again! I'm at a loss now as to where the water is getting in. We've got solid walls (1920's house) with a render on, which looks sound. Could it be getting in through the frame, and not draining out properly (i.e. via the cill) but running to the side maybe? Any tips as to potential problem areas to check gratefully received!!!

Doug

thedoctor

by thedoctor » Thu Jun 21, 2007 6:47 pm

Could be getting in between glass and frame and leaking inwards if the drainage holes have been sealed outside, could be getting in above the frame and running down. Honestly Doug there are just so many things that "could" be happening it really is only practical to re-seal every possible place the window comes in contact with the wall. Not over the top of the original sealant, that must come off (see our removing sealant project) as the new stuff will only be as good as the original joint if you dont remove it.

gizmo
Apprentice
Apprentice

Re: Rain water leak around a uPVC window

by gizmo » Wed Dec 05, 2007 8:14 pm

[quote="doug"]Hi,

I've got a uPVC window that is leaking around the frame when it rains. One bottom corner gets damp whenever it rains. We've just had the room interior gutted and replastered, so I've just noticed this. I checked the exterior silicon seal right up the side, the top & bottom of the window. It was in a poor condition so I replaced it all. I am confident that it is now water tight. The damp patch dried up (once it stopped raining!), and all looked OK ... until it rained again! I'm at a loss now as to where the water is getting in. We've got solid walls (1920's house) with a render on, which looks sound. Could it be getting in through the frame, and not draining out properly (i.e. via the cill) but running to the side maybe? Any tips as to potential problem areas to check gratefully received!!!

Doug[/quote]

gizmo
Apprentice
Apprentice

by gizmo » Wed Dec 05, 2007 8:15 pm

[quote="thedoctor"]Could be getting in between glass and frame and leaking inwards if the drainage holes have been sealed outside, could be getting in above the frame and running down. Honestly Doug there are just so many things that "could" be happening it really is only practical to re-seal every possible place the window comes in contact with the wall. Not over the top of the original sealant, that must come off (see our removing sealant project) as the new stuff will only be as good as the original joint if you dont remove it.[/quote]

4 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Fri Sep 20, 2024 12:52 am