All aspects of plumbing questions and answers, help, tips and information

5 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
toplondonchef
Ganger
Ganger

Blistering shower tray

by toplondonchef » Tue Nov 22, 2011 12:31 am

Hi all,
Had a shower fitted about 5 years ago with a stone resin shower tray.
Have recently noticed that there are loads of "blisters" forming under the glaze of the shower tray.
Although these blisters have not yet cracked the glaze, I am concerned that if the glaze does become cracked, would the shower tray then be prone to leaking.
Does anyone know the cause of these blisters and is it a common problem with this type of shower tray.
Thanks for your time in reading this post.

plumbbob
Project Manager
Project Manager

Re: Blistering shower tray

by plumbbob » Tue Nov 22, 2011 9:13 pm

I can't say I have ever seen "blistering" in a stone resin shower tray so it is not a common fault.

The surface "glaze" of a tray is in fact a 5mm thick acrylic sheet stuck to a 10-15mm thick resin substrate and unless this is fractured through its entire thickness, it will not leak.

Should the blisters crack it might result in sharp edges being exposed.

toplondonchef
Ganger
Ganger

by toplondonchef » Thu Nov 24, 2011 7:18 pm

Thanks plumbbob for your reply

I,ve has so many problems in the house over the years with work carried out, appliances, etc and when I push to get the problem rectified, that's the usual answer I get - "Can't say I've ever seen this before" (by the way, not a dig at your good self Mr Bob)

After 5 years of use I don't think I'll get anywhere with the supplier, although I would have thought that a lifespan of more than 5 years was not unreasonable for a shower tray. I suspect a fault during the production ofthe tray

Thanks anyway

dougbrewster
Labourer
Labourer

by dougbrewster » Thu Jan 19, 2012 11:06 am

I've got exactly the same issue with a 7 year old tray that I'm in process of replacing. I'm guessing that bacterial growth under the waterproof coating may be involved. There has been water damage under the tray because of leakage elswhere and bacteria have formed in some visible areas so maybe in the tray material also...

Dick Puller
Apprentice
Apprentice

by Dick Puller » Sun Jan 22, 2012 4:29 pm

I've seen this happen on RB shower trays with water getting under the top skin or if there was air pockets when the tray was manufactured. Sorry, but replacement is the only answer.

5 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Tue Jul 02, 2024 6:30 pm