combi boilers and wood stove back boilers compatibility
Help and information on all topics relating to your central heating, air conditioning and ventilation issues.

3 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
jgglastonbury
Labourer
Labourer

combi boilers and wood stove back boilers compatibility

by jgglastonbury » Thu Dec 15, 2011 12:43 pm

I want to phase the upgrading of my heating system in a 3 bed semi.

First I want to have installed a new combi to heat a small underfloor heating system, and 3 radiators, and our tap hot water.

At a later date (2 – 5 years) I may want to purchase a wood burning stove with a back boiler, and have connected into the heating system, via a storage tank. I may want solar panels also to feed in. Is there a combi that is compatible for both scenarios? most wood back boiler needs a vented system(although there are some stoves that are pressurized) , and the combi is pressurized. I don’t want to have to buy and install the storage tank at the beginning, as this will be done in phase 2, for financial reasons.

Summary; I want to future proof my heating system, with combi gas now and wood and solar with tank later.
Can wood boiler and solar, with tank, be retrofitted into a combi system???

stoneyboy
Project Manager
Project Manager

Re: combi boilers and wood stove back boilers compatibility

by stoneyboy » Fri Dec 16, 2011 5:54 pm

jgglastonbury,
Since the combi will direct feed hot water, it may give issues linking with solar and woodburners.
Have a look at accumulator tanks, this may be ideal for longer terms plans but you may have to drop the combi.
end

Dick Puller
Apprentice
Apprentice

Re: combi boilers and wood stove back boilers compatibility

by Dick Puller » Sun Jan 22, 2012 9:11 am

This can be done with a Thermalstore or Heatbank, both of which are not popular in the trade as they tend to sludge up over time. But with either you can link anything in to it via coils.

Lots of people use their combi for their kitchen hot water & a cylinder/thermalstore/heatbank for the rest of the house.
HTH

3 posts   •   Page 1 of 1